Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Experts - help needed, please!

Duff

Funny, I knew who y'all were talking about without looking first. And check out the bid history. Someone bumped it over $400 on HIM with six seconds left. Maybe we aren't the only ones on to his game.

Yeah, guys, I'm watching this one again but I'm really, really leery of bidding. I didn't exchange any words with Ontoyou directly but I'd be amazed if he doesn't check this place out as a "guest". :omg:

I'm enough of a rookie at eBay that I can't speak with any authority about it, so is it "possible" the seller and Ontoyou were either in cahoots, or maybe when Ontoyou went to pick up the machine he and the seller reached an "agreement" about the selling price? Something about that last-second $400 bid just doesn't sit right with me, nor does the apparent lack of a "reserve" in the current auction. If I had over a grand tied up in a machine I wouldn't rely on a 37" SD deck and and bagger to cover my losses...... :hide:

If the motor has only 870 hours on it and smokes (my own M12 has a thousand hours and is clean as a whistle) it makes me wonder about the maintenance on the machine. :hide:

Thoughts/advice, please, from you guys with experience?

Duff :D

Sparky

Thoughts/advice, please, from you guys with experience?

Duff :hide:

Yep. Leave this one alone. I would look elsewhere. If its smoking then its been neglected or the hour meter isnt right. And smokin generally doesnt just go away....only gets worse.

Mike.........

buckrancher

My thought's on this is stay away :D

the side panels and foot rests and frame rails look way to good for a tractor with 800 plus hours. Doesn't take much spray paint to make one look good in pictures

:hide: for e-bay (I know from first hand experience :hide: ) it seems funny

to me that a tractor which looks that good would have a engine that smokes .

that is ususually is a sign of neglect or poor mantenance so I would expect to

see some rust in those areas as well :omg:

linen beige

Look closely at the pics. You can see the smoke haze coming off the exhaust! And it looks good because it's wet. Part of the bagging system is still mounted. Is he going to leave it on the tractor or remove it and sell it with the bagger? And if he takes it off what else is he planning to remove? It looks like the battery is not clamped in, so I'd guess this battery won't be on it when someone picks it up. NOS tires? How old? If they've been sitting, unmounted, on a shelf for twenty years they probably aren't much good.

dgjks6

I rechecked the listing and the negative feedback is still there. You guys know more about the wheel horse, so I am going to leave that alone except to say if it is smoking, plan on a rebuild. This guy ontoyou seems to have enough mechanical knowledge that if it was something simple he would have done it.

As far as ebay. I don't think they are in cahoots. When I sell anything I start at .99. This gets people bidding and generally gets you a higher price. You make less with a reserve and even less with a high starting bid. The risk is you can loose big once in a while. So I think ontoyou bought it and got a bad deal. That is the ebay risk.

As far as good deals, they are very hard to find anymore. Too many people. It is more like a great store with anything you need.

Greg

Duff

Thanks, guys! :D

I'm going to take a very large PASS on this one! :hide:

(I'll bet he sprayed the tractor with WD-40 to get a shine going just before snapping the pics!)

Best to all,

HorseFixer

DUFF good move! :hide: sometime its best to walk away you'll get a better one! :banana: <<< Then you'll be dancin like this guy! :D

Butch

I rechecked the listing and the negative feedback is still there.

Greg

You're correct. My bad. I had the sellers screwed up. I thought

OntuYou was the original seller. He was the buyer and Sescape

was the seller. Are these the same tractors or not? I'm not sure

that they are. :hide: I was under the impression OntuYou

didn't take the tractor. Hmm?

Butch

Duff

Butch, you may be right......

I've got the pictures from the first sale and Ontoyou's latest up side by side on my computer.

-The paint dings on the top front edge of the hood don't match

-The air cleaners are different (but he could have changed it)

-I'd be surprised if the PO lied about something as obvious as the hours with a meter on the machine.....765 or 830....neither is out of range for this year tractor nor would it be a deal breaker IMHO.

And if Ontoyou didn't take the original tractor, I wonder why it hasn't shown up again?

The mystery continues....... :hide:

But I AIN'T buyin' it..... :D

dgjks6

I think these are the same tractors. I think ontoyou took off the chrome air cleaner and hubcaps. Both tractors have the cup holder and the brackets for the rear bagger. I think he took off everything of extra value and is going to try to sell it separately - the deck, the hub caps, the chrome air filter, the bagger, and anything else he can find to try to make up his money.

stevebo

Guys, the mystery is this (just my guess) ontuyou purchased a restored 312 from me about a month ago. He told me that was going to be his to keep and use around his house. I believe he swapped some of the parts with the one he bought and the one I sold him. I just want to see some pictures of the one I sold him-It was on ebay about a month ago with a bagger and had the decal "caution dangerous to farmall and john deere".

good luck-