john walker

motion control replacement help

john walker

Good Afternoon All, I Have A 1974 C-120 Automatic  I Broke The Welded Motion Control Lever. I Found A Used Replacement And Am Trying To Put It

On However I Cant Seem To Be Able To Get The Shaft Out Of The Old One. I Have Loosened The Tension Spring . But I Cant Get It Off The Shaft.

Is There a  Woodruff Key Or Something That  I Am Missing?

any Advise Would Be Greatly Appreciated     

Thank You

John Walker

pacer

Hey John,

Does your set up look like this? Did you remove the bolt holding the tab on the left outside of the frame looking down in this pic.

If so, the I hope you dont have the problems I had -- I ended up taking my sawzall and cutting the mechanism off near the frame side, again looking down at the far left. Even after getting it on the bench and beating the snot out of it, heating it, cussing it, etc the shaft never did free up. (yes there is a woodruff key) The shaft rusts inside the cone shaped part and freezes.

I ended up getting another assy (other pic) and got everything back working. My control lever was OK, I needed to adjust it to stop lurching.

post-9681-0-85022000-1421532744_thumb.jp

post-9681-0-14458400-1421532756_thumb.jp

john walker

Thank you Pacer for responding.  That looks exactly like what I have.  Do you know of anyway other than to cut it off that I can get to the Woodruff Key?  I cant even find a way to get near that key. I really appreciate all your assistance.

John

daveoman1966

You cannot remove the shaft from the hoodstand housing without removing the woodruff key from the shaft. Remove the big nut and the adjuster nut, and the spring too so that the 'U' shaped frame can slide to the RIGHT enough to see and remove the woodruff key. Then the shaft will slide thru the hoodstand housing.

post-1200-0-30313600-1421533855_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-32211900-1421534022_thumb.jp

post-1200-0-20769900-1421534089_thumb.jp

Edited by daveoman1966

john walker

Thank you so much Daveoman1966.  I will try this tomorrow morning and repost.

Thank you for your response.

John Walker

john walker
  1. Well No Luck, Just Like Pacer Said It Is Frozen On The Shaft, I Will Probably Have To Cut It Off, Can Anyone Tell Me Of Availability Of The Parts Pictured Above
  2. Hopefully I Can Find Them Somewhere
  3. Special Thank You To Pacer And Daveoman 1966 For All You Help
  4. John Walker

daveoman1966

STOP...  DON'T CUT IT OFF YET.  You MAY be able to get it out by breaking the weld on the little rectangular tab on the outside of the hoodstand.  Somehow mark the orientation of this tab to the woodruff key ...you'll have to reweld it in the EXACT SAME location when done.  Then lift the whole apparatus out of the the tunnel in on piece.  Then you can work on it a lot easier and let it soak in penetrating oil, or ....use a press of some sort to get the shaft out.  When done, re-weld the tab in the original orientation locatin..

john walker

I Never Thought About That, I Will Definitely  Look Into That, You Seem To Know A Lot About These Horses

Thank You So Much

PS Just In Case I Posted The Pictures In Wanted  Section

Thank You For Your Help

John