Mr. 856

ugghhh........neck problems.

Mr. 856

I wish I didn't have a head right now and maybe my darn neck wouldn't bother me so much. Going on two months now with pain just below my right earlobe down to the base of my neck. This sucks. Im to young to be taking advil every other day to ease the pain or inflammation or whatever you want to call it. Im not a big DR. kinda guy and prefer to only go when I really need to. Like bleeding non stop from cuts and needing stiches, etc. Thought I just "tweeked" it as I have in the past and a week or two I would be fine. Not this time.......I think I tore something. Something isn't right when once in awhile I turn my head and can here "popping" noises from my neck. Anyone else been through this? I have had some nights I went to turn and the shock of pain through my neck has literally woken me up. I suppose its beyond time to suck up my pride and call my nemesis.

wheel-mule

Have you thought about going to a chiropractor? I go about once a month and they sure help me

Mr. 856

Have you thought about going to a chiropractor? I go about once a month and they sure help me

Yes and I don't like the thought. Stubbornness keeps telling me im to young for that..........:) I think its my next step.

KC9KAS

I don't go that often, but when I need to go, I GO!!

Yes and I don't like the thought. Stubbornness keeps telling me im to young for that.......... :) I think its my next step.

Youth has nothing to do with it!

If your hurting, you better get some professional help or you may end up with some type of permanent injury!

My 1st trips to the chriopractor was around age 25, and that was 35 years ago!!

rmaynard

I have been suffering the same problem now for about a year. I've been to 4 doctors, had x-rays, MRI's, done physical therapy, had a complete bone scan, and on, and on, and on. Doctors don't want to do anything unless they think they can cut you open.

My neck clicks all the time. My range of motion is limited. Sometimes I get a stabbing pain that shoot up behind my ear like someone sticks a hot poker into the back of my head.

Results of MRI say that I have stenosis of the spine, several bone spurs, and 2 or three bulging discs. I take 3 ibuprofen when I wake up, 2 at lunch, and 3 at bedtime. 

Now within the last month, my left hand is affected. The tips of my fingers are "dull", and every now and then it feels like an electric shock going down my arm. If I reach for something, my whole hand tingles. 

This is my penalty for a lifetime of body abuse. 

My 40 year old daughter-in-law basically had the same problem and had surgery. That was pure hell for her, but now she is pain-free.

I won't go to a chiropractor ever since my cousin was having his neck "adjusted" and when the saw bones cracked his neck, the lights went out. Forever.

Geno

My Chiropractor is the best thing that happened to me.  I've seen him for almost 20 years and I can say, I felt better when I got out of bed this morning at 53 years old and for the past 20 years than I ever did, even at 33 and the 10 years before I saw him.  I literally feel as good as I did when I was 16 when I get out of bed most every morning. 

I am also in what several chiropractors have told me is one of the worst professions there is for back and neck problems.  Too much time under the rack looking and reaching up puts out the neck and shoulders.  Too much time on an overhead creeper puts out the ribs.  Everything else including thinking I'm still Superman puts out the low back and we won't even talk about being upside down under a dash for several hours a day sometimes...   If I call him as soon as I feel something he stops by on his way home, puts it back in and I'm done.  I try not to let it go long enough to where I have to see him more to get the muscles retrained.

One of the best things I ever did for my low back was to work out 3 times a week as my Chiropractor suggested.  After 5 years of him telling me to do it, then the past 15 years of doing it, I don't hardly have low back problems at all anymore. 

The only advise I can give is that there are more bad Chiroprators out there than good ones, take the time to ask around a find a good one.  As my Chiropractor says, life is too short to live in pain all the time.  :)

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Bob......geesh. Are you saying your cousin died at the chiropractors? did I read that right? Im sorry to hear that.

rmaynard

Yes. That is correct. He died almost instantly. Google chiropractic neck adjustments and see the number of strokes caused by "adjusting" the cervical vertebrae.

Racinbob

Bob, that is tragic about your cousin. I agree with you about avoiding a chiropractor. They might have their place but dealing with issues in the upper spinal and neck area isn't one of them. I have what sounds like similar issues and I tried a chiropractor about 20 years ago. Fortunately for me the he## he put me through prompted my wife to insist that I go to a neurosurgeon. A MRI clearly showed the problem and if I would have continued seeing the chiropractor the results could have been devastating.

AMC RULES

Welcome to my world...

had a roll over accident a little over two years ago.

I've accepted, my neck will never be the same...and just live with it.

baerpath

Welcome to my world...

had a roll over accident a little over two years ago.

I've accepted, my neck will never be the same...and just live with it.

I'm with you Craig 2 yrs in Oct rolled the tanker.   Medical massage has done more than anything else for me. Doc's are all drugs or surgery Screw that

• Like 1

JC 1965

This is just my opinion Mr.856 but if it was me I would see a Dr. to find out what is causing the pain. I have had some ear infections that hurt all the way down my neck. Might not be your problem but you never know. Ear infections can be very serious if not treated. Just saying.      :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Thanks for the advise everyone. I don't believe its an ear infection but I will let them figure that out. Hope to be in to the DR's by weeks end. Yesterday I called them twice only to get to leave a message on an answering machine. Last time I went to the same doctor I needed some stiches in my hand. They were short staffed or to busy I forget now but im not joking when I tell you I was the assistant in stitching myself back up. No nurse in site, DR couldn't do it all himself so there I was front and center, holding this, holding that, pull this, pull that. Now that I really think about it I did more work then the doctor! :eusa-think:  

JC 1965

Glad you're seeing a Dr. What ever the diagnosis is, you're making the right decision. Sure hope they can get you feeling better soon.     :thumbs2:

Mr. 856

Friday at 4:30pm the ball starts rolling to hopefully a quick fix.

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Well went to the DR. this afternoon. His suspicion is maybe some bone fragments around a disk in my lower neck. Going to get x-rays in the morning and hopefully he can pick something up there. Was sent home with a script for a muscle relaxer and a steroid. Go back next Friday for follow up and results of x ray. If that doesn't work then its an MRI. Looks like I will be doing some muscle relaxing this weekend. :roll:

• Like 2

Geno

The muscle relaxer should help a lot, I hope you feel better soon!  A hot tub makes a good muscle relaxer too.   :) 

Mr. 856

I don't have a hot tub or even a tub for that matter. Only a shower. I haven't take a bath in years and im man enough to say id absolutely love a hot bath and maybe even some bubbles. Heard Epsom salts help?

Geno

I've heard that before too but never tried it. 

JC 1965

Hope the Dr. can get you fixed up soon and back to your old self. 

Mr. 856

Me to. Off to get some x rays.

• Like 1

Racinbob

Good luck. I hope they uncover the issue. If not I would strongly advise the MRI. Once I went to a neurosurgeon and got the MRI the issue became clear. The scary thing is that if I had continued seeing the chiropractor it could have been much worse as I stated in post #9. Besides the contraptions in his office he even had me using a head harness hooked over a door at home. It was supposed to separate the spinal column I guess.  I was also prescribed muscle relaxers prior to seeing the neurosurgeon. After taking the first one I decided to go out to the barn. About half way on the 250' walk the world started spinning. I didn't take another one. Once the issue was found I was informed that muscle relaxers couldn't possibly have helped. I guess that's why they say doctors practice medicine. I just wish they wouldn't practice on me. The thing is, you probably have to go through all these steps before you can get to a neurosurgeon.

Mr. 856

I took a muscle relaxer at 11:30,......by 3:00 I was out on the couch and suddenly was awoken by the wife and son getting home from shopping. Granted we have all been up since 4:00am since our son seems to have forgotten its the weekend and we can sleep in!!! My eyes were bleeding come 11:00am.