jim3sr

plow help please

jim3sr

I plowed 2 weeks ago (soft powdery snow)without problems.Today is wet heavy snow,my frame of tractor wants to drift all the way to the side and gets stuck preventing me from lifting my plow until I put it in reverse and this will straighten the frame to the middle again.The only thing I see that the frame is attached to the tractor is at the axle and chain at lift arm.Why is this doing this?Tractor is 1987 310-8,frame is 1970 unit.

daveoman1966

Look at the rear axle bracket...sounds like the locking lever has come loose on one or both sides.  There should be a little clevis pin (with hair pin) to hold the locking lever in place.  SOME of these don't have that clevis pin and they rely on the friction of the 3/8 carriage bolt to hold it (them)_ in place.

post-1200-0-57958100-1421080876.jpg

post-1200-0-19434500-1421081132_thumb.jp

jim3sr

I have nothing there at all,my locking levers move freely up and down.So this clevis pin will prevent my frame from swaying?

daveoman1966

Yes... When pressure from the frame is put on the locking levers, they will let the round bar flop out of the slot, leading to the frame coming loose and slopping back and forth. You ABSOOLUTELY MUST lock down those two lever to stop this action. If you don't have the 2 clevis pins, just put in a 1/4 - 20 bolt and nut (use nylok nut if you have it.) If the lever is NOT DRILLED, then you only option is to TIGHTEN THE BOLT that holds the lever...VERY TIGHT ! ! !...so that the lever doesn't move at all. If the locking lever and bracket are NOT DRILLED, plan on doing that come spring.

shallowwatersailor

Follow Dave L's advice on the locking levers to make sure that is not what is happening.

Be aware that the plow will tend to "steer" the tractor more than other times with heavy, wet snow. This also occurs more often with the 3-sector blade and less with the 5-sector blade when it is pushing while angled. I notice it more when plowing with my 42" 3 sector plow on the C-105 than the 48" 5-sector 520xi. The 5xi plow uses a front stabilizer in the front Attach-A-Matic to keep it from "wandering." Some members have fabricated a front stabilizer for the older plows.

Not being able to raise it until reversing is because with the wet snow the plow face still has a load on it.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

jim3sr

I have no holes in my locking lever,one lever wasn't locked in place so I locked it and was able to finish plowing .Like you said when the weather is better I'll have to drill some holes.Thanks for your time guys!

eddiebunyan

I had the same problem last winter.I used some heavy wire and wrapped it around the arm and frame to keep my arms from unlocking till spring when I drilled and pinned them..