Sign in to follow this  
Brian1045

What WH to get next...

Brian1045

I'm having so much fun on my WH, that I'm getting geared up to find/start on another one. I'm leaning towards a 753 or a Ranger. Well heck, I kinda like to have a C series too. :banghead:

Anyone have a certain model that was the ONE cream of the crop to restore?

jusjeepn

Brian, I'll have to say I am very partial to the hydr models! Especially the red and grey sticker models. Something about those colors on the hood... or maybe just because those were the ones I grew up with. My raider 8, even though it's a 6 speed just has that look that look I like.

009.jpg

The Electro 12

008.jpg

The Ranger 800

007.jpg

Just something about that vinyl that does it for me... (don't tell my wife) :banghead:

wh500special

I think the 418-C is the absolute best tractor Wheel Horse ever made. Lots of power, smooth engine, "maroon stripe" styling, C-series capability and versatility, comfortable, no pesky electronic gremlins, and a one-year only model.

Can't be beat. No way. Not possible.

And, not coincidentally, I have one for sale right now that can be yours if the price is right...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5982

:USA::omg:

Seriously though, it's pretty tough for someone else to help you with that decision. I suggest you look through the photo sections and see what most catches your eye. if you fall in love, for example, with the art deco style of the roundhoods keep in mind that most all of the many round hood models all look about the same (502/552/603/633/753/854/704/etc) so it should be easy and economical to find something. Same can be said for the round hooded rangers (62-64 then 65-68), or the bigger tractors (Raiders?Chargers/C-series). WH made dozens of different models with only subtle variations amoung them.

If you want something truely unique, look for a late 70's Electrak (e.g. B-145, C-185). Vertical shaft tractors are nice and compact and aren't really that popular in the mainstream either so can be seen as kind of unusual. And, who can forget the "rare" models like the 603, 754, 706, 520-8, and perhaps a few others?

If your budget and space are bigger, the GT14 gets my vote as a neat conversation piece too since it is conceptually unique from the smaller tractors of its day. And, if I forgot to mention this already, don't overlook the newer classics like the 520's and the 418's :banghead: ....

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Shamlessly pushing my wares :thumbs: ,

Steve

JimD

the 753 is an easy tractor to restore. you can put one "on the floor" in a couple of hours, just taking your time. fun and quick to redo. here's mine...

wheelhorsefleet022.jpg

wheelhorsefleet021.jpg

wheelhorsefleet020.jpg

oh, and don't get too anxious to ride it that you forget to paint the front wheels :banghead: i also would like to find the gt14, or a 1054. like the looks of those.

bell

I'm thinking that, since you have THE "crossover" tractor, you need to get 2.... Get a round hood/ round fender (like the 753) and a square hood/ square fender (like the 855) then, you want another, and another.... and..... lol

I've really got to meet up with you sometime. Heck, we only live about 30 miles from eachother. Come over to my place sometime, you can look at all of mine... it might help you decide what's next.... :banghead:

Brian1045

Yea I do need to come by sometime...I should have plenty of time off this winter. I'l take you up on that. :banghead:

Rollerman

Um...lets's see...my next Wheel Horse? :banghead: ...I'd take Steve's 418C :USA:

Everyone has there favorite years....I like the 65 on short frames the best.

That said I'd like eventully find an 867 also 855(An 855 was my first Horse) so I'd like to have another for keeps.

A Commando 8 would be good too.

Maybe another C, 300, or 400 series hydro for a worker...without an Onan.

Nick

Any of the models mentioned would be good. Hard to pick just one. :banghead:

Stephen, Ive got a Commando 8 I could sell, its not mine but I could sell it. Doubt the brother would even notice it for a year or so. :USA:

sorekiwi

the 753 is an easy tractor to restore. you can put one "on the floor" in a couple of hours, just taking your time.

Huh? My 502's not "on the floor" yet, and its been a couple of years!

JimD

mike, the 753 was really easy to disassemble. all the resto work after that is what took all the time. as you can see in the pics, i'm still not quite finished. i just had to drive it before i did the front wheels, and, well... :banghead: i'll get to em. jim