localdj77

Potential issues with thrower

localdj77

Well we finally got some snow and I was pumped to use my new setup!

Unfortunately I had some issues.  

First issue was my dang throttle cable stuck!!!!  I had to manipulate it at the engine just rev it up as I was limited on time and didn't have time to tinker.  I THINK I may not have had the RPM's high enough and that is why I was only getting maybe 4ft throwing at best.  I am going to replace both cables when its warmer.  I suppose I will try to get the RPM's up more next time.  Maybe just disconnect the cable altogether until I replace it.  What distance should I expect???

Second issue.  I had the height on the thrower set to one notch above the top setting.  Ran a pass and it left quite a bit of snow.  Maybe left inch and a half?

So I lowered it a couple notches and made another pass.  This time the right side of the thrower was not touching the ground.  I could push the handle on the tractor and it would lower but it was for sure sprung.  I've got the helper spring on it and maybe it's adjusted to tight?  i don't think I have much more spring to give at this point.  It takes 2 hands and a lot of pulling to lift the dang thing the way it is!  

Any thoughts?  How close to the ground should I expect to get?  

chazm

#1 - how far the snow throws depends on engine RPMs & what type of snow. We got 3-4 in of light fluffy stuff . Blew nice not real far because the wind blew it every were. Wet snow doesn't work good in blowers,including walk-behinds

#2 - if you have to use 2 hands to lift with an assist spring .you don't have the flag in the right hole. Ask me how I know :banghead:

localdj77

I didn't know there were more than one hole!!!!  Do you have a link for instructions?  I followed some instructions on here and it seemed right but good God is it hard to lift!  lol

localdj77

You mean the flag is pinned to the wrong hole on the tractor right?

chazm

yes

Bowerhookup009.jpg

Ed Kennell

Move the flag pin up one hole to get more leverage.  If the blower is still not lowering completely, the push/lift pipe is too long.

When I had my manual lift blower, I had 3 lift springs on it and it took about 3 lbs pull to lift it. I have since gone to a 520H hydraulic lift.

localdj77

Take a look at the pic you posted.  I think I remember trying the lower hole and it was too small.  Don't you think it looks too small?  I will check tonight.  

I've only got 1 spring on it and it still dangles the blower as if the spring is too tight.....which it might be!  However if its too tight you would think it would easily lift.  Ugh. 

I'll check over it tonight.

Ed Kennell

You need to move it UP one hole not down.    The spring is not holding the blower up. the lift pipe is too long. Are there any spacers or washers between the flag and the lift pipe?  If yes, remove them.

I assume you have the lift lever adjusted  down to the lowest position. This is the black knob at your left knee..it should be loose when the blower is lowered.

Edited by ekennell

localdj77

Uh the lift lever has adjustment???  lol  Where is that?  Man I tell you what.....I can rebuild an engine and strip and completely redo a car but this wheelhorse thing is killing me!  I feel like such a rookie!!!!

AMC RULES

Dial a height control knob...

check out in Tanks thread here.

localdj77

I for sure don't have a knob like that.  Just the big lever.  Could the knob be underneither?

wallfish

Don't believe the 312 has a dial height adjuster.

The best thing to do for a quicker solution is to post good pictures of your setup rather than guessing what's wrong by looking at pics of other peoples tractors.

Best to run the engine at full RPMs and load the blower by going faster. For single stages, the more it loads, the better it will throw. You will get used to the correct speed for different snow conditions once you get it setup correctly. You'll eventually find the balance between throwing far and straining the engine. You should expect to throw it 20 - 30 ft in most conditions.

gwest_ca

Look up your illustrated parts list for the tractor and on the Manual Lift Linkage page or Hydraulic Lift Linkage page it should show what each of the holes in the lift bellcrank are used for. If you can't find it post the model number of your tractor and will post a link to it.

Garry

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Go to the manuals section and do a search for your tractor, then download and open the manual.

I searched 312-8 and found this.

post-7208-0-35221300-1420662008_thumb.jp

post-7208-0-90101100-1420662075_thumb.jppost-7208-0-35332700-1420662109_thumb.jp

Ed Kennell

Thanks Garry, you type faster than me.

Racinbob

You do need to go one more hole up. Some 312's had the dial-a-height some didn't. I don't know what years but it sounds like you don't. It would be a good idea to add one using a blower especially if you have a gravel drive. :)

localdj77

It's been freakin cold with no additional snow so I've opted to NOT go out and take pictures.....but I will!  lol

So if I'm correct you guys think I should add a dial if mine doesn't have one?  Or are you saying there is still adjustment even if mine doesn't come with the dial?  I don't have the dial for sure but maybe there are additional holes that I'm not aware of regardless......

Regardless of your answers I will get out this weekend and take some pics.  

Racinbob

I think it would be a good idea. There's no other way to hold the blower up a bit (other than full up) if you're clearing something other than concrete or asphalt where the wheels on the blower can carry it. It's a bolt on thing but you'd have to get different plates or modify the one you have. No big deal. You should have another hole higher up. That will give you better leverage for lifting it. I had a 85 GT1100 that had the dial adjustment on it when I bought it new. I never realized that it wasn't standard on that model until I was informed here. I'm assuming the dealer installed it. Research then told me that some of the 300 series didn't have them standard as well. My brothers 312 does though and I know he didn't install it. There's a lot of crazy little quirks on Wheel Horses.

localdj77

Hang on hang on......I downloaded and looked at that page a bit closer.  I see what you mean about the top hole!  I am for sure in the middle hole or the lower big hole.  I didn't even see the upper hole.  Maybe the frame was hiding it?  Dunno......I'm guessing that will fix the lift issue....hopefully the scaping issue as well.  I hope it actually rides on the ground now instead of dangling off the tractor!  The thrower that is.  I'll check it out!

Ed Kennell

Like Bob and the manual say, put the flag pin in the top hole. This increases the mechanical advantage and should make the blower easier to lift. If it is still too heavy, add additional springs  to help lift the blower.

It appears your 312 does not have the adjustable height feature, therefore you only have two positions, full up and full down.

If the blower is not scraping in the full down, the push/lift pipe may be upside down where it is attached to the blower causing it to be too long.

Please post a picture of this attachment so we can determine if it is the problem.

If this attachment is correct and the blower still does not scrape after you move the flag to the top hole, you will have to shorten the push,lift pipe.

grinchsr

Yes the top hole is above the frame rails. You have to feel for it. I went through the same problem.

can whlvr

surprised no one commented on the throttle cable,dont believe you can just undo it and keep the engine at the proper speed,the cable keeps tension on the lever that goes to the governor,but ive had to use vice grips to pull the cable and hold her wide open,the rpms are controlled by the cable on a magnum,sorry didn't see your year to see if its a k or magnum,but most are magnums except the first years of the 300 series

localdj77

Well guys you were right!!!  I moved it to the upper hole and it is cake now!  It seems as thought the thrower sits more level on the ground now too.  I'm hoping it gives me a better result this time.  I'll be making sure my revs are where they need to be also.  Several of you have asked what surface I'm clearing.....concrete.  Should be straight forward I would think.  Thanks so much everyone for your help!  If all goes well stay tuned for a video!  Just gotta wait for another snow.  Hopefully soon!