Sign in to follow this  
hodge

B-80 issue

hodge

Up until recently (last two weeks or so), the B-80 was about as reliable as it gets. Now, when I try to start it, this is the sequence:

1) Turn key, nothing happens, not even a click.

2) Turn key off.

3) Turn key on, clicks.

4) Turn key off.

5) Turn key on, starter spins, but doesn't engage.

6) Turn key off.

7) Turn key on, engine spins over very slowly.

8) Turn key off.

9) Turn key on, usually spins fast enough to start, which it does.

10) Run for any length of time, when turned of, it goes back to #5.

11) Eventually starts.

Any ideas? :banghead:

BPjunk

It the model B-80 in question has a solenoid check this first, then check for loose wires from the battery to the starter (both positive and ground). It is also possible for the starter to be getting a "dead spot" (worn bushings on the armature shaft causing the armature to drag). You might want to check for dirt on the shaft since the starter drive does not always engage.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

kj4kicks

Start with your wiring connections, especially at the battery, solenoid, and starter. Make sure you have a good clean ground at the engine block.

linen beige

Wild Bill and Eldon have pretty much covered it, 'cept they left out checking to make sure your battery doesn't have a dead cell. That can cause it to not have a usable charge for the first few seconds that a load is put on it, but gradually builds up enough to turn it over and then start it. Try it with a known hot battery, then work your way through the other possibilities if that isn't it.

hodge

Thanks, guys. I love learning new things, but I must admit that I am pretty stupid when it comes to electricals. :imstupid: With your advice, I will find the problem.

:banghead: