localdj77

A couple blower questions....

localdj77

Well the good news is due to you guys helping over the last few months I've gotten just about everything done to the 312 that needs to be done including a new chain for the blower!  Last thing needed before spring is to rebuild the mower deck but I've got plenty of time for that.  

I've got a couple questions though.....they say to oil the chain and bearing on the blower with machine oil.  What do you guys use and how do you do it?  I've heard to use motor oil but I can't think you expect me to drizzle oil on the chain.  That doesn't make sense. lol

Also, what do you use on the auger and chute to keep the snow from sticking???

Thats all for now.....check out the video!

Edited by localdj77
  • Like 1

doc724

I use chain saw bar chain oil.  The manual says to use 30 W oil.  Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap oil squirt oiler and getting it on the chain will be no problem.  To keep the snow from sticking, many here have recommended Sno-Jet.  Home Depot carries it for $10.  I have not tried it yet, but I bought a can this year.  Members here with TALL CHUTE blowers report that they can throw snow close to 40 feet.  I can get 25 feet easily without it.  Of course, I am powering with a 20 hp motor.  My neighbor across the street has a JD 314 and with a short chute like yours, he can throw easily 15 feet (and he does not know about snow jet-YET)

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

I use  the gear oil that I drain from the lower units of my outboard motors to oil my chains.  I also use it to coat the springs on the boat trailers that are used in salt water.

There are commercial chain lubricants available, but I think any 90-150 wt gear oil would work as well.  And yes you just need to drizzle it on as the chain is turning slowly.

Many products are used to prevent the snow from sticking.  SNOW JET , Pam cooking spray, WD 40, Car wax, etc.

I painted my chute with an epoxy tank liner paint , then wax it with a Teflon marine wax.

baerpath

We quit using oil on chains years ago We use molly spray lube on chains basically the same stuff bikes use on drive chains.  One can will last yrs. Not as messy and does a better job than oil, a can lasts a year on a combine and that's with 60ft of chain

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Looks great. I use motorcycle chain lube, and regular oil dispensed from a lube can.

nice job,,,,,,I like the rear blinkie lights to.

GLENN

localdj77

Thanks!  I figured since I will be using it at night and near a street it justified geeking out a bit.  The video doesn't do the front lights justice.  They light of the street about 2 houses down.  lol

• Like 1

localdj77

So use moly for the chain but what about the gear bearings???  And the auger bearings???

doc724

The auger bearings are sealed (at least mine are).  For the gear bearings, get a grease gun with general purpose grease for it.  No need to get anything fancy.  With regard to the chain, all the wear on a chain occurs between the pins and the rollers.  Molybdenum disulfide, (moly) in a spray should be thin enough to wick in.  Whatever you choose, it needs to have a petroleum base as it will stand up to the water.

localdj77

Perfect!  Thanks guys!  IF we ever get snow here I'll post up videos!!!

• Like 1

RMCIII

Just my :twocents-02cents: , and it is probably a little OTT, but I use Lucas waterproof grease for the greasable bearings. They are exposed to water and IMHO the regular grease just does not stay together like the waterproof grease. That stuff last the entire season. The first season I used just regular grease. I found I was adding grease every 15hrs. of snowblower use. Now it can last the entire season...... But I usually hit it, at least twice during snowblower season.

Rob

localdj77

Thanks!  I used to have a small gun from harbor freight for my boat but the metal used to make it was so porous that the grease started oozing out from random defects in the metal.  Needless to say I chucked that one.  Where would be a good place to get a decent gun?  

We just got 7" of powdery stuff here last night and I'm excited to get it done.  First time with a horse!  I bought the CRC severe duty gear and chain and applied last night.  I'll hit it with pam before I use it later on.....front tires at 26 and chains on the back.  Hoping for some fun!

Ed Kennell

I've been pleased with quality, price, and service of most everything  I have bought from TSC (Tractor Supply Co).

Sounds like you  will have some :occasion-snowman:  fun today.           Only 1-3 forecast  here today.  :-x

shallowwatersailor

Members on a Walk-BEEhind forum swear by the Lincoln brand of grease guns. I'm with Ed as mine are from TSC. The one thing that I don't like is how in warm weather (not a problem today :occasion-snowman: ) the grease turns to liquid and leaks. Some have suggested a PVC pipe as a vertical holder.

RMCIII

Members on a Walk-BEEhind forum swear by the Lincoln brand of grease guns. I'm with Ed as mine are from TSC. The one thing that I don't like is how in warm weather (not a problem today :occasion-snowman: ) the grease turns to liquid and leaks. Some have suggested a PVC pipe as a vertical holder.

The waterproof grease does not do that in warm temps.... Just to be clear, I would only use this for garden tractors and such. It is only graded for #2 use so if you are wanting drive shafts on 4x4's to be greased or something that is generated temps beyond 285 degrees, this is probably not the grease to use. But for garden tractor application and such, it is pretty darn solid overall. Have not found another grease that comes close.

localdj77

Had a couple issues last night.....starting new thread.