BOWTIE

GAS TANK VENT or HOLE?

BOWTIE

I NOTICED A 1/8" HOLE IN THE LEFT SIDE OF TANK. IS THIS VENT THEY ADDED TO SOME MODELS OR DID A FENDER MOUNTING BOLT DO THIS? IT HAS THE ORIGINAL BOLTS ON THE FENDER. I CAN MELT SOME EXTRA GAS TANK MATERIAL OVER THE HOLE, IF NEED BE.  THANKS

BOWTIE IN OHIO

post-4576-0-53448200-1419617478_thumb.jp

Tim

i think it is a hole

your cap should have venting

• Like 1

sorekiwi

I've never seen a tank like that, I've probably only looked at 6 or 8 or so though.

Edited by sorekiwi
  • Like 1

rmaynard

I have never seen a hole in a tank like that. There was a factory bulletin concerning leaking tanks of that type, but the problem was in the seam around the filler neck and along the side where the top half was joined to the bottom. Since Wheel Horse was concerned about a possible small leak, I don't think they would have put a hole in the top of the tank that would be 100% guaranteed to leak as the gas was sloshed around.

• Like 1

Shynon

If you use too long of bolt on the seat pan or seat spring you will drive it right into the tank.  Not sure if that is the correct location or not, but if so that would be my guess.

• Like 1

Tankman

Always cautious with the seat pan bolts, "Ouch" if too long a bolt is installed.

Should be a fairly easy fix with a soldering iron, works great. If needed, use a strip from a milk bottle (plastic) for a little filler.

Kelly

Not factory, either plastic weld it or a screw with sealer on it in the hole

BOWTIE

I'M GOING TO MELT IT CLOSED WITH A SOLDERING IRON CLOSED. I USED THIS TRACTOR TO CLEAN UP LEAVES FOR ABOUT 25 HOURS AND NEVER DID SMELL GAS. THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INPUT. 

BOWTIE

Tankman

Not factory, either plastic weld it or a screw with sealer on it in the hole

Or, a long pop rivet and sealer. 

BOWTIE

I USED A SOLDERING IRON AND MELTED THE HOLE CLOSED. IT'S  SEALED AND TESTED OK WITH AIR.   THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS REDSQUARE.

BOWTIE