BOWTIE

300 400 500 SERIES SEAT MOUNT PROBLEMS

BOWTIE

THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE 300-400-500 SERIES TRACTORS. HOW DO YOU OTHER GUYS REPAIR THEM? 

BOWTIE IN OHIO

post-4576-0-13770200-1419389173_thumb.jp

Wheel-N-It

Honestly I've never had that problem Bowtie. Wish I could offer an easy suggestion.

BOWTIE

I THINK THIS IS CAUSED BY A LARGE PERSON OR TRYING TO DO A WHEELIE. I HAVE SEEN THIS 3-4 TIMES OUT OF 20 OR SO TRACTORS.

slammer302

I would weld it back up and add some support by welding another patch to the bottom I don't see much else that could be done

• Like 1

mrc

hi  bowtie,  i fab up new tabs out of slightly thicker stock. then weld them on.  i extend the new tabs further toward the dash.  on the hydros after repairing this poorly designed area you will see a large,very sturdy mount bracket for the hydro pump. this bracket is 3/16ths   (.1875)  of an inch below the "Z" bar. the fender bolts to the "Z" bar. i weld a piece of 3/16ths stock to the top of the large hydro pump bracket. the "Z" bar now has a third support point and its almost centered between the area that breaks.  i see in your pics you have an 8 speed. i have not found a convenient place  on the 8 speeds to add extra support.  good luck  mike in mass.

stevebo

I have done same thing... welded a thicker piece of flatstock to current frame.

edwroy

Had the same problem on two different 520s - followed the same as above - cut out the bad - slightly thicker steel and fabricated in. Much stronger than original. If you don't work with steel - check a local weld shop. That is what I did.

Edwroy

smoreau

I have had several tractors with this problem. As stated above it is a common fix to replace that section with some thicker stock, Then never worry about it again :handgestures-thumbupright:

AMC RULES

Post #16 here...has some images of this repair.

ericj

i have had the pieces welded back together and then welded a washer on underneath for support. i actually got my one 520 a little cheaper because i mentioned the frame was broken because of the way the seat and fender pan moved around

eric j

Martin

Post #16 here...has some images of this repair.

im glad you referenced that thread Craig, as the post i made below it is an important consideration as well. make sure whatever you do to fix the problem by welding thicker in place or below the damaged area is it doesn't interfere with the mounting of the belt guard and also the left cover on the other side of the hood stand.....

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

buckrancher

post-591-0-57359800-1419445125_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-94591200-1419445158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1