Sign in to follow this  
rustyoldjunk

c165 8 speed is it 8 pinion?

rustyoldjunk

i have a bare 1077 frame a 10hp kohler starter gen. engine a enough 66-67 short frame parts laying around to get most of the parts i need to start putting together what will be a 1267.i have two rears ready to go one is in a c120 8 speed and the other is a 8 speed that came with the two c165's i recently purchased.this on looks to have had very little use.it would be the easiest to use since its already out but i want to be sure its the 8 pinion,if not i will use the one out of the c120.so is the C165 8 speed an 8 pinion differential?

bluetuna08

measure the axle shafts and if the diameter is not 1" than it is an 8pinion rear end

rustyoldjunk

thanks Blue.it does have the 1 1/8 axle shafts i just didnt realize all the big axle rears had the 8 pinion.

bitten

Hey rusty. Acording to Wheel Horse service bulletin #368a (guidlines for fluid filled tires) all C-series has the 8 pinion rears. I thought that I have read that only C120 and up had the 8 pinion but could find no refrence to it. I have heard the same thing about the mesurment of the axle to tell also.

I have been looking for an 8 pinon for a project that I'm working on, just have'nt found one yet. If you decide to get rid of one of yours let me know and we can see what we can work out.

P.J.

baerpath

8 pinion's were in the long frame B80 and B100 All C series, 314 and up for the 300 series, all 400's and the 520 8spd.

Just because it has 1 1/8 axles doesn't mean it's a 8 pinion. The 10 pinion rears also used the larger axles.

Duane

BPjunk

Look through some of my old posts on this subject.

Tractor models like the B-60 had the heavy duty eight pinion but 16hp models like the SK-486 did not, other items to remember is that even though the some of the 300 series did not have the eight pinion differential the carrier (the differential case halves that hold the pinion gears) was bored out for eight pinions but only four were installed at the factory. Meaning you can add four more pinion gears to build the stronger differential. :banghead:

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.