scotty

Lug nuts

scotty

Where is the best place to buy new lug nuts mine are all worn out. Are they availiable at napa or anywhere cheap online?

Thanks.

shallowwatersailor

If you remove your tires often, you might consider changing to lug nuts. I bought my bolts at the Depot and lug nuts on the Bay. It makes it a lot easier.

• Like 1

scotty

That actually does not sound like a bad idea how long of bolts did you use? and what size?

Edited by scotty

KyBlue

Take one with you to the Store ... i want to say they're 7/16x20 but I might could be wrong ... has been awhile since ive had one off..

Edited by KyBlue

Trouty56

7/16-20  X 1 1/2....I think...I got mine at Fastenal....and the nuts too...

• Like 1

doc724

I thought about doing this a year ago, but I was cautioned that the lug nuts on studs is not a good combination if you use your tractor for ground engaging implements (plows, tillers etc), mowing is fine.  The reason cited was that the angle on automotive lug nuts is different than the angle on the original WH lug bolts and the automotive nuts would bottom on the hub before the nut was fully torqued down.  The torque caused by ground engaging would cause small movement between the wheel and the hub, eventually wallowing out the holes in the wheel.  Any one experience this first hand or is this an urban legend (or more appropriately a WH legend)

shallowwatersailor

7/16-20  X 1 1/2....I think...I got mine at Fastenal....and the nuts too...

:handgestures-thumbupright:  It is 7/16"-20 x1-1/2". I put a lockwasher on against the hub but Loctite might be more secure. One of the hub set screws needs to be removed and re-installed after installing the fifth bolt. The lug nut is 60 degrees. What are the WH lug bolt?

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

Trouty56

I thought about doing this a year ago, but I was cautioned that the lug nuts on studs is not a good combination if you use your tractor for ground engaging implements (plows, tillers etc), mowing is fine.  The reason cited was that the angle on automotive lug nuts is different than the angle on the original WH lug bolts and the automotive nuts would bottom on the hub before the nut was fully torqued down.  The torque caused by ground engaging would cause small movement between the wheel and the hub, eventually wallowing out the holes in the wheel.  Any one experience this first hand or is this an urban legend (or more appropriately a WH legend)

Not sure about this.....I sold a bunch to a guy once who had a couple pullers.  I plowed a big garden last year....  Might have to check snopes on that....

Tankman

7/16-20 x 1-1/2" long, installed from backside of the hubs. I use a drop or two of Threadlocker Blue on the threads that'll rest in peace in the hubs. One hub set screw is close but, never had to remove one. Used an open end wrench installing one bolt, once bolt cleared the set screw, a box wrench.

I purchase the bolts from Lowes or perhaps Home "Cheapo" has 'em.

7/16-20 open ended acorn lug nuts, available at any auto supply.

The angle of the acorn lug nuts is the same as the angle on lug bolts.

Use a dab of Never-Seez on the working portion of the bolt(s).

I do this little upgrade to all my Horses. Makes changing tires a breeze!   :)

(I have a coffee can full of lug "bolts." Will never be used).

Some garden tractors, i.e.: Cub Cadets, are sold with lug nuts, not lug bolts.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

I think Bob(rmaynard)used to sell complete sets...

he might provide more insight on this swap.   :confusion-shrug:

scotty

Sounding like using "studs" is the best way to go. thanks for all the answers!

rmaynard

When I was putting kits together, I would use grade 5, bright zinc plated 7/16"-20 x 1-1/2" bolts, and zinc plated 7/16"-20 acorn lug nuts that I purchased from an auto parts guy that specialized in older GM cars. Those lug nuts were used on many early 80's Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, and Buick wheels. Once he ran out, I bought them on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-LUG-NUTS-OPEN-ENDED-ACORN-7-16-20-FITS-CHEVROLET-BUICK-OLDSMOBILE-/271693135858?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f422c3ff2&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

BradyS

If I'm not mistaken you can get nuts with a different pitch on them.

Cub Cadet 1200

Cub Cadet 109

Cub Cadet 149

Cub Cadet "O"

Cub Cadet SO76

Plenty of attatchments to put them to work. Currently looking for an RJ35, if you know where I can find one let me know.