TXMowerSaver

My First Horse!! C161 Twin 8 Speed

Desko

Id say the snap ring that holds the axle is floating on the inside of the trans you'll have to split it (shallow side down deep side up) its probably still in the bull gear and can cause damage if you drive it like that if the axle doesn't slode out first. Nice tractor btw are you planning to do a full restoration?

• Like 2

Catmanii

Agree with Desko, the snap ring is gone. Axle should not move any more then a quarter inch at most. It's not to bad of a project, but I can think of other things I would rather do.  :)

I really do like the lift though and wish I had one. Gotta start looking.

ericj

don't mean to be a downer, but it's not always as easy as just replacing the snap rings, sometimes the axles groves wear to big to hold the snap ring correctly giving the slop

eric j 

TXMowerSaver

Thanks! Hmm, is this a common trans or no? May just be better to find a replacement? No plans on a restoration right now, just wanting to get it mechanically sound and maybe sell it.

Desko

Yes it is common it a wheel horse uni drive 8 speed transmission i dont know if it has the 1" axles and 4 pinion diff or the 1 1/8" axles and 8 pinion diff, wheel horse has a various transmissions but those are the 2 most common it the C,300,400,500 series tractors they also used a 10 pinion with floating gears with a posi rear but they would break i think that was used in only some C series the 4 pinion was used in some of the 300 and C from what im adware of it and all the series used an 8 pinion in all of those series from what im adware of its stronger than the 4 but id have to say yours is an 8 pinion but im sure someone will come in with a definit awnser

TXMowerSaver

Decided to post my horse up for sale. I haven't done anything to it and I am kinda bored with it already, not sure why but I just lost the excitement with this tractor. I don't know but I do want it to go to a good home since it's a somewhat rare model. Here is the link to my ad.

TXMowerSaver

SOLD!!