Stormin

Shift rail question.

Stormin

I'm rebuilding a C-120 trans. It's been in bits for a while and I now have a question regarding the shift rails. Are those in the photo the right way round?

post-8870-0-13580100-1418225851_thumb.jp

stevasaurus

Yes, that is correct.  The grooves go into the holes on the shallow half case, and the shaft with the uneven spacing of the grooves would be on the left in your picture.  That is your 2nd and 3rd fork gear shaft....and when you put the forks back on...the lower fork is also on the left.  :)  Does that make sense??

• Like 1

Stormin

Thanks for that. I've had the forks on, and in the order you say. The problem is the left forks hole will not line up fully with the dowel hole. Not by much. you can see the edge of the hole in the shaft through the fork hole.  Maybe the gear cluster is not locating fully, preventing the fork to go down enough. Further investigation tomorrow.

Lane Ranger

Forks look to be wider apart on top than bottom in photo also!   Some alignment issue there!

stevasaurus

Check out the 1st part of this video...shows how your forks should look.  I have a feeling that either you are trying to put the forks on the shaft upside down, or you have to turn the shaft around in the fork, or you have to switch the forks between the shafts.  Check this out...

Lane, I think he just has them started to show his question.  :)

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Your video should help answer any questions on installing the forks Steve!  I like how patient you are explaining this job!  

That is until you get the phone call!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

groundhog47

Check out the 1st part of this video...shows how your forks should look.  I have a feeling the either you are trying to put the forks on the shaft upside down, or you have to turn the shaft around in the fork, or you have to switch the forks between the shafts.  Check this out...

Lane, I think he just has them started to show his question.  :)

Thanks for the 5060 video also, you made it perfectly clear on the questions I had :greetings-clappingorange:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Gerry...what questions did you have.??  :)

Stormin

Excellent video Steve. I can see now where I was going wrong. Thank you very much. :thumbs:

• Like 1