Mr. 856

Toro axle shaft keys...do they not make them like they used to?

Mr. 856

I was messing around with my tires last night and pulled the pass side rear wheel and hub. Grabbed the key and wow was I surprised to see that it was cracked on both sides almost all the way across. Keep in mind the originals that came out showed no signs of cracking but were replaced as a "maintenance" item while I was going through the tractor. The originals were worn but mostly just bolt marked from holding the hub on. I ordered the new ones using Toro part #. There is no excessive play in the shaft key way nor the hub that I can tell. Im now thinking I should pull the driver side and see what that one looks like. The tractor has hardly been ridden with these new keys...........junk? Not only that I haven't even really put this rebuilt horse into work yet. I lightly plowed with it two weeks ago for 1/2 hour and have simply ridden it around the compound for break in time. Anyone else seen this before? Both are new to the machine. Im guessing less then a few hours of actual seat time on them. I can take a picture if that helps.

• Like 2

Geno

I see stuff like this all the time, that's why I try to save all the good Made in USA parts instead of putting new Made in China parts on things.  Things have changed a lot out there and most of it not for the better.  :eusa-doh:

• Like 1

Mr. 856

I guess not. I cant for the life of me put my hands on the old ones.........I cant even remember if I saved them. I guess that's what happens when you work on a project over a span of well...........years.

As the pictures some what show you can see the crack. Pictured from both sides of the key. I think I need to do a further/better inspection of my hubs/shaft. I did not think there was enough play what so ever to do this with the little amount of time that is on the tractor since rebuild. post-9448-0-90634700-1418095345_thumb.jp

post-9448-0-78232000-1418095351_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Geno

That sure wasn't gonna last much longer.  Maybe a higher end store like Fastenall will have some made in USA.   Seems like you have to check the package on everything you buy these days to see if you are getting in trouble...

bmsgaffer

Wow! I have seen lots of wallowed out  key slots but never seen a cracked key like that. You caught that just in the nick of time, that could have been ugly!

doc724

For any hardware that I know is going to take abuse (or a failure might be bad) such as keys, set screws, or highly stressed bolts,  I always go to local industrial (hardware) supply store.  I would rather pay $1 for a set screw or key than buy something cheap and have to do it all over again (or worse).  I agree with Geno.