RMCIII

Snow blower attachments in general

RMCIII

Just curious, anyone know why a wheel horse single stage, throws far superior than any other single stage? I mean, they have been around a long time. Long enough that the others, Simplicity, Case, Cub, could have easily replicated the method of how the horse works. I watch videos and there is just no comparison to what the other single stage blowers do vs. a horse! Then I look at new 2 stages. I have said it before; I'll put my single up against any modern 2 stage - excluding the HD Deere’s, Kubota, and Berco throwers. The rest just seem to lack something that puts that snow out there. I can only imagine how well the single I have would work if I put the rubbers on the paddles to help reduce the spacing between the chute throat and the paddle gap. Good lord, right now it is clearing 35' easy with a auger that is only 1/2 full at times. This is not a bragging thread, although it does sound like that, but it's not. I was just wondering if anyone knew why the other mfg's decided not to copy what wheel horse did when it came to the single stage thrower.

For the newbies that have not seen this video, until it snows this year, yes re-run.

Rob

IMG_0384.MOV

Edited by RMCIII
  • Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Rob, only a guess, better engineered, designed.

also,,,,,,I can download like last time, but the link wont open. You tease. Lol

Glenn

RMCIII

Not sure why you can't open it Glenn. Try opening up under windows media player.

Rob

shallowwatersailor

I don't have any experience with the 42" low chute model by Wheel Horse but I do have the 42" tall chute by Toro. Looking at the two models at the "ownership" change, the 06-42ST05 was by Wheel Horse and the last low chute with cable rotation. The first Toro model was the 06-42ST07 which has the tall chute with the auger-geared rotation. The (snow) auger is the same for both, #4467. But the wrapper and adapter are different. Was it Toro that improved the single stage? Or was the original just as good?

Looking at just a few of the other manufacturers, Case; Cub Cadet; Simplicity; and Bolens, all stayed with low discharge chutes. Gravely only offered a two stage in various widths that was legendary until Ariens bought them out and switched to the less effective Ariens design.

My opinion is that Wheel Horse got it right and Toro improved it. They had the opportunity to change the design with the 5xi, 260 series, and other models but kept the design. They could have even done what Ariens did and change it to the Snowhound design - but didn't. An interesting side to this discussion is the on-line history of Toro does not mention Wheel Horse but does include other companies that it acquired.

http://www.thetorocompany.com/companyinfo/history_brochure.pdf

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 2

RMCIII

I had mentioned in an earlier thread, I would like to know the number of teeth that are on the low chute blower auger, vs. the tall chute blower auger. I wonder if they may have reduced the tooth count by 1 or 2 which would increase the auger speed, thus allowing for greater distance with the snow being thrown.

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

Martin

i don't know for sure, but i think they were both the same.....

shallowwatersailor

There was a change on the drive pulley of the 42" snowthrower when Toro went with the electric PTO. Both sides of the sheave are the same size on the PTO sheave and so the drive pulley on the snowthrower was made smaller to compensate. It actually helped because the belt was easier to put on.

• Like 1

RMCIII

So then the primary shaft is turning faster, which would then, spin the chain, which spins the auger faster?

Rob

shallowwatersailor

So then the primary shaft is turning faster, which would then, spin the chain, which spins the auger faster?

Rob

No, it was to bring the rotational speed back to what it was. The manual PTO sheave has two grooves of different diameters. When using the snowthrower on the manual PTO, the outer groove is used which is smaller. The PTO sheave has grooves that are the same diameter. To increase the speed the primary shaft sheave was made 1/2" smaller in diameter to bring the rotational speed back to what it was before. There is a retrofit kit for older snowthrowers that are used with the electric PTO that is basically the smaller sheave, and a wider support for the crank because the PTO has a plastic cover/guard that protrudes out further from the tractor.

RMCIII

Still a liitle lost John. If the outter sheeve was used to bring the speed back to what it was, then the rotation of the auger, must have saw an increase sometime between prodution. I get the difference between the front vs. side pto, diameter of each and why the need for (2) on a side mounted pto vs. front mounted pto. The question still remains, Wheel Horse seems to spin a single stage auger much fater than anything else in it's class. Why did the rest of the mfg's decide to keep their design when it it obvious that WH has a much more efficent design?

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

MalMac

RMC, i am just guessing here, maybe it was a patent that could not be fringed upon. There's always a way around a patent but maybe it was not worth it. like said just guessing here.

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

I never had the two stage Wheel Horse blower, just the single stage. Compared to my new 47" two stage JD, I like the performance of the Wheel Horse single stage better.

Sent from my tractor seat.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I know that I did some research about the single-stage snowthrower this summer when I got the one for the 5xi. I that that I saw a rotational speed for the auger, which is why I knew about the retrofit kit to adapt older snowthrowers to the 315-8 equipped with the electric PTO. The only reference that I can find today is for two-stage units which turn the auger much slower.

A number sticks in my mind of around 2200 rpm. Would that be possible?

By the way, here is the ultimate walk behind Toro snowblower. What I found interesting is the shape. Notice that the design of the snowblower is the same as what the tractors used, including the tall chute (and the notches, Ed.) To put price in perspective, you could buy two Honda HS1332TA ($3K each) for just the price of the snowblower attachment for the tracked Dingo!

post-3066-0-17733700-1418219964.jpg

• Like 1