rmaynard

"Haulin' Help" can lead to...

rmaynard

A little update on what I have been up to with this 416-H.  This project and the threads about it, have gone off on many tangents. From distressed metal, to oil leaks, to motion control issues, and much more. But I think I am coming down the home stretch. Oil leaks seem to have been resolved, motion control issues were mainly wear, and all the cracked, distressed metal has either been replaced or welded. I am in the process of painting a few things now that the weather is a little more cooperative. As I said earlier, this is not one of my full blown restorations, as I plan to use this one, not just ride it around at shows.

While my wife was at work today, I fired up the oven in the kitchen to 170 degrees and threw a few painted pieces in for an hour. That sure reduces the cure time on paint, and tends to give it a little more gloss. It's a shame I can't get the fender pan and hood in.

post-2221-0-29038900-1429574736_thumb.jp

Oh, before you ask, I know that I am always touting the many benefits of acrylics, but because this is a worker, I am painting it with Case-IH Iron Gard alkyd paint, IH Red 2150. This is the closest thing I have found to the old Valspar Restoration Series, and you can't beat the price of under $18.00 per quart.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 6

bmsgaffer

Lots of little teaser pics with all these tangent threads. I cant wait to see it back together!

rmaynard

Shouldn't be long Brandon. All the mechanical stuff is done, and the only two pieces that haven't been painted are the hood and fender pan, although they are both primed.

• Like 2

rmaynard

A little sunshine today, so I brought the 416-H out to see how the new paint looks in the sunlight. Here she is with her repaired dash and hoodstand components, new seat, freshly painted footrests, belt guard and side panel. Just waiting for the hood and fender pan to be painted. I've got a set of Terry's "anniversary" decals ready to go on. I'm going on vacation, so I might not have it finished until just before the Little Guy's Show. But despite the horrible weather we've had, and other factors that have slowed me down this winter, I've made some progress.

I swore I was going to take this winter off and not redo a tractor, but you know what they say, this addiction is powerful.

post-2221-0-53896800-1430070422_thumb.jppost-2221-0-86107200-1430070429_thumb.jppost-2221-0-02588600-1430070683_thumb.jppost-2221-0-23689200-1430070689_thumb.jppost-2221-0-08721400-1430070702_thumb.jppost-2221-0-45991800-1430070708_thumb.jppost-2221-0-95263700-1430070714_thumb.jppost-2221-0-10215000-1430070721_thumb.jppost-2221-0-33694100-1430070727_thumb.jppost-2221-0-02225900-1430070734_thumb.jp

• Like 5

Wheel-N-It

Thats looking really good Bob. I would be proud to own that one!

Martin

so would I.....

looks really nice Bob. you've done a good job with 'disguising' the repairs and keeping it mostly original looking.

buckrancher

good job Bob looking forward to seeing her in person

Brian

shallowwatersailor

That looks GREAT, Bob!

bmsgaffer

I am VERY glad you got that 416, it looks better than new!

How do you like that seat? I am just about to put an order in for one and wanted to see if you've gotten any good time on it yet?

JC 1965

You did a great job on that tractor Bob. Just like you always do.     :)   It sure looks good.

rmaynard

I am VERY glad you got that 416, it looks better than new!

How do you like that seat? I am just about to put an order in for one and wanted to see if you've gotten any good time on it yet?

The seat is great. It's the KM123 MID back, and if I did it all again, I would get the KM125 HIGH back. With my current back problems, the more support the better.

squonk

We can all sit on it and try it out! :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :) :ychain:

rmaynard

Like I tell the grandsons, you can sit on it, but you've got to give me that cookie bar in your hand. :angry-nono:

dclarke

Looks really good, Bob. Nice job! 

rmaynard

Oh, before you ask, I know that I am always touting the many benefits of acrylics, but because this is a worker, I am painting it with Case-IH Iron Gard alkyd paint, IH Red 2150. This is the closest thing I have found to the old Valspar Restoration Series, and you can't beat the price of under $18.00 per quart.

And having made that statement on April 20, I have to tell you that I ended up painting the hood and fender pan with acrylic urethane. Too many problems with alkyd paint taking way too long to cure. Since the hood and fender did not get repainted until Monday, I would not have had time for the paint to dry, much less cure soon enough to put decals on and make it to the big :wh: show.

Edited by rmaynard

Marv

Bob,
You can detour over here and drop it off at my place. I will be glad to let you have one of mine to take to the show then to your place and turn it into one like it. I will even keep it in the wheel horse barn to protect it from the weather.
Marvin

rmaynard

How much money do you have? :ychain: 

Marv

MONEY? Oh, you mean that green stuff. I thought you would do that just for the fun of it. See, I know you are addicted to good work.
Marvin

Edited by Marv
entered too soon

rmaynard

Addictions are expensive. :icecream:

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Bob, really a nice clean job on it. A+ from me, looks real sweet.

Glenn