zanepetty

K161 crankshaft installation.

zanepetty

Hey all. Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been on here in a while. Been very busy and my wheel horse project got pushed to the wayside. But I'm going to try to do some work on her this week! Does anyone have good info on installing the crank? That, the piston, rings and connecting rod are all I lack on the engine. Also what do you guys torque the head bolts and rod bolts to? Thanks so much!

Edited by zanepetty

oldredrider

My best advice is to download the Kohler service manual.

rmaynard

As Paul said, everything is covered in the Kohler manual. Just having the torque values is not enough. The head bolts have to be tightened in a certain pattern.

chazm

Welcome back Zane.. Like the others said down load the manual... read it several times... print of the torques & HB sequence to have out in the shop. Also look at the conn rod install,I think its needs installed a certain way..   Let us know if you have ???  :handgestures-thumbupright:

rmaynard

The connecting rod and cap should have aligning marks. The cap also has an oil hole. The oil hole must always be oriented toward the camshaft.

• Like 1

zanepetty

Ok thanks. I'll find the correct manual.

rmaynard

Ok thanks. I'll find the correct manual.

zanepetty

Thanks a lot. I'm not sure what it's talking about when it Says shims and spacers on the crank shaft. I don't remember taking those off. Am I forgetting something?

rmaynard

In your pack of gaskets, you will usually get 1 bearing plate gasket and about 5 shims. Shims look like the gasket, but are thinner. When you assemble the engine, you put in the gasket and a couple of shims, then check the side to side movement (end play) of the crankshaft. If it is too much, you remove a shim, if it is too little, you add a shim.

Edit: Shim info is on page 12.10 of the latest Kohler manual.

Edited by rmaynard

zanepetty

Ok Bob. Thanks. I guess I'll start with two shims plus my regular gasket? Does that sound good?

rmaynard

That's a good starting point.

zanepetty

My bearing plate is cracked as well. Do you have any laying around I could buy? I posted a. Add in the wanted section.

rmaynard

I don't have one, but there are several on eBay.

zanepetty

I got screwed on the last one on eBay. I figured I'd post here instead. I'm Leary if it now.

Lagersolut

I got screwed on the last one on eBay. I figured I'd post here instead. I'm Leary if it now.

I hope you contacted the seller and put it back in his/her mailbox - I've only gotten 1 or 2 bad or broken things on the bay but they're at the post office next day heading back.

slammer302

I think I have one

zanepetty

I ordered one from joes outdoor power this time. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know the part number for the crank seal in the bearing plate? I was going to try to go to Napa to find one.

rmaynard

Should be one in the gasket kit. But if not, it's a Kohler X-583-1-S, NAPA SME X5831S.

zanepetty

Thanks bob. I put the seal in the cracked plate so I don't want to risk taking it out.

rmaynard

I understand. In my opinion, NAPA seals are better than Toro seals anyway. They run about $6 bucks and change from my NAPA store.

zanepetty

I'll be looking today. Thanks for the info,bob.

zanepetty

My Napa store is saying that the crank seal number isn't crossing over?

zanepetty

He magically found it now. Go figure. I appreciate it!!