Mr. 856

Plow skids?

Mr. 856

Was plow skids an add on part or did they come with the plow when new? my 42" blade doesn't have any and im wondering if there would be a benefit to adding some to use on a gravel driveway. Are you guys using skids or just setting the plow height by the adjuster on the tractor for the lift handle?

gwest_ca

You will want to make a set when you see the price

Garry

jeremi3210

I fabed up my own using angle iron black steel pipe and some 3/4" rod with some curved washers wielded on for feet. On gravel I think the are a must have unless you like to rake in the spring.

sorekiwi

My driveway is gravel and I dont use skids.  

I set the height with the dial-a-height knob, but I change it a biit while I'm plowing.  By the garage where the cars pack the snow down I like the plow low to scrape the ice away.  Up by the road I like the plow high to deal with all the salty crap that the county plows dump in my driveway.  If I used skids I'd have to get out of my seat to adjust them.

The blower I set the skids high - around 1 1/2" under the scraper so I'm not throwing gravel around.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

The 54 inch plows and earlier plows had skids.   The skids were on 3/4 round stock rods with half rounded cups welded to the bottom of the 3/4 inch rod.     These skids could be adjusted up and down for various applications.   The later plows had skids like Garry has in his guidance above.     We made four of them  four years ago in my dad's blacksmith shop.  We made the cups heavier for longer wear.    Here are some of the pictures.  

Here they are on a 54 inch plow:

post-339-0-59355800-1417516222_thumb.jpg

These are the ones we made:

post-339-0-86741100-1417516288_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-73702800-1417516338_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-65714300-1417516370_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi

I made these for cheap using carriage bolt and black iron Pipe cap.  On this blade the support is welded to blade.  On another one I bent the steel and bolted it using one of the blade edge bolts.

Product improvement will be to weld the carriage bolt to the pipe cap.  Currently the bolt  head wears off and the cap falls off after about a season and a half.

post-1023-0-50366900-1417529729_thumb.jp

post-1023-0-21841000-1417529760_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JC 1965

What if the skids were replaced with wheels with an adjustment to raise or lower them as needed.       :confusion-shrug: Just an idea that popped in my head while reading this thread.

pfrederi

What if the skids were replaced with wheels with an adjustment to raise or lower them as needed.       :confusion-shrug: Just an idea that popped in my head while reading this thread.

They would have to swivel some as you angle the blade from one side to the other.  Casters of some kind?

Tankman

I made these for cheap using carriage bolt and black iron Pipe cap.  On this blade the support is welded to blade.  On another one I bent the steel and bolted it using one of the blade edge bolts.

Product improvement will be to weld the carriage bolt to the pipe cap.  Currently the bolt  head wears off and the cap falls off after about a season and a half.

Great idea!

I'm headin' that route quickly. Thanks for the pic's! 

I reading, "Drill the pipe cap and weld in a 1/2-13 carriage bolt." Nice!

I like the "use blade edge bolts" for mounting, smart!

Mr. 856

thanks for the feedback guys. I think its time to pull out the welder!!

pfrederi

Great idea!

I'm headin' that route quickly. Thanks for the pic's! 

I reading, "Drill the pipe cap and weld in a 1/2-13 carriage bolt." Nice!

I like the "use blade edge bolts" for mounting, smart!

You got it.  One thing make sure you use lock washers (and i add loctite) as they seem to want to unscrew themselves.

eddiebunyan

If you weld 3/4-16 threaded rod on, you can then use 3/4-16 jam nuts(2 top and 2 bottom) to addjust up or down for cutting edge wear! Also there is no need to pin or jam screw them, they are free to turn,wearing more evenly.

• Like 1

stuppy62

I like the swivel caster idea. Harbor Freight has 3" stem one's for $5.00 with 100lb. weight limit.