Bach-Ed

857 and CH270 Kohler

Bach-Ed

I have been watching the thread of using Preditor engines well my 857 had a K241 that threw a rod.  Since that was not the original engine I just wanted to get a decent engine on it.  i got a good price on a CH270 Kohler and figured I couldn't go wrong with Kohler.  Any way I found I needed an adapter plate and got one and now the engine is in place.  I don't show it but the hood just drops on.  Hooray.  The shaft size was wrong but I picked up a nice adapter on Ebay.  Putting on the belt that was used with K241 did work but you can see in the photo how loose it is.  I'm assuming a somewhat shorter belt would be what I want.  Do you think I should try one or two inches shorter or????????  Oh and yes someone has altered the guard so a new one is on my wish list.  Thr throttle cable is not working very well so that is my highest priority.  I want to get the plow on and maybe scare away the white stuff.

post-13758-0-52733400-1417483023_thumb.j

post-13758-0-16279800-1417483055_thumb.j

post-13758-0-92982700-1417483104_thumb.j

post-13758-0-59220200-1417483141_thumb.j

• Like 2

nhunt308

I just went through this on my lawn ranger re power because I had to move the motor towards the back to clear the hood. I took my old belt (to big) let the clutch all the way out and wrapped the belt around the

Pulleys then cut it to fit perfectly around them... then you can measure the belt with a tape measure. Now what surprised me was the belt length that works is the exact size that I measured with the tape measure. I assumed I would need a inch smaller but that was not the case. And with your belt guard you might want to keep that one because if you need a shorter belt I would guess your pulley location is moved toward the rear of the tractor and a stock guard would be to long

slammer302

I've done HF 212cc swap on a 657 and a commando 6 and was able to use factory size belt on both

Wheel-N-It

Thats a nice little swap! I'd like to see some more photos of how that turned out :)

GT14

Looks good Kohler is king for Wheel Horse motivation.

slammer302

You will love the easy starting and great good power

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MadScientist
      By MadScientist
      Hi there, I am new here and someone from the forum referred you to me. I am looking for a k341 16Hp Tecumseh and or an 16Hp "M" series Kohler ( i would perfer the Kohler)  quality replacement engine.  it doesn't have to look pretty , just strong enough to get the job done.

I am looking to put this on a 1 0375 Horse

I thank you for any help that you could offer,

Eric
    • MadScientist
      By MadScientist
      Hi all, I am new here and I am wondering if anyone could help me out. I have an old Horse CA-120 special model # 133619 in excellent physical shape with a dead engine. Is there a modern engine that I could use as a replacement for this model? I would love to get this old girl running again before the nasty winter weather sets in.

Tecumseh engine #'s
      commercial duty 12Hp
      OH160/ model
      170182G/ spec

Thanks in advance for any help you could offer.

• WS MCKELVY
      By WS MCKELVY
      Hello,

My name is Bill, and I am new to this forum. About 10 years ago I bought a 269H and it has faithfully performed all the tasks asked of it. The other day I checked the and topped off the oil, and proceed to start cutting the lawn. About 15 minutes in I heard a loud noise followed by an evil vibration. Thinking it was something with the deck I shut off the PTO. Unfortunately the noise and the vibration did not go away. I shut off the tractor and pushed it back to the garage. I checked to oil again and found it to be half gone. After topping it off again I started it up, but the vibration and ugly noises were still there. I am 90% sure the engine is shot.

I have been trying to find a replacement for the Kohler CV19s-6553. I am not having a lot of luck. The closest I have come is a CV620. Does anyone know if this will work, or of any other models I might want to look at. I live in maryland and have thought about getting it rebuilt. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks
      Bill

• Bach-Ed
      By Bach-Ed
      My 857 had a K271 that had been installed by the PO.  The engine threw the rod and damaged the cylinder.  I was able to get a new Kohler CH270 for a replacement.  I didn't feel at all bad about this as the K271 wasn't original anyway.  Here is the problem,  the existing holes don't come anywhere close to matchcing up.  If all else fails I will make an adapter plate but I figured I had better ask if there is an easier solution, like a premade adapter of some kind?
      The holes are 79.99mm (3.149") apart in the width and in the fore/aft they are 162.00mm (6.378")