clip

Work Horse 1600 - throttle/carb/governor questions

clip

Hello all,

I just brought home an '84 Work Horse GT1600 last week after helping clear a friend's garage and got it running after draining the fuel tank, sealing the shutoff valve grommet, and replacing the fuel line and filter. It'll start easily, runs and drives but I'm stuck on a throttle/choke/carb issue. I figure a quick rebuild will solve most of the problems but decided to post here and see if this is normal behavior. Bear in mind the engine is missing the sheet metal cover over the air filter.

The tractor starts great with just a little choke and will idle with no choke. When I throttle up to about halfway on the panel where it's comfortable driving, the engine starts to starve and requires I keep the choke just barely on, probably 10% choked. I think this indicates a somewhat clogged jet, requiring me to reduce the air slightly to match the fuel mixture coming in.

When I push the throttle all the way up to max the engine runs great with 10% choke as long as I hold the throttle there. Once I let it go it backs itself down to about halfway on the panel. Is this where all Briggs GTs run? Is this the governor reducing engine speed to allow for an increase in throttle opening under heavy loads?

Without the choke on and throttle at halfway the engine will bounce back and forth between running and dying, then catching itself and speeding up again while the governor arm rocks back and forth. I'm thinking this could be a dirty carb causing it to almost die or the governor out of adjustment. Again, with the choke just barely on the engine seems to not bounce as bad, if at all.

Looks like a great knowledge base here, hopefully you guys have experienced these issues and will be able to confirm my suspicions. Thanks!

5C4CDD7C-E2E1-491F-B94C-F9DC133FFCB1.jpg

B1054629-FAF8-41AA-9ADA-B3448B388359.jpg

gwest_ca

I have read where the carb adjustment on this model is unique and it is explained in the engine operator manual

Garry

clip

Garry, thanks for the link.

I had a chance last night to get out and adjust the carburetor, seems like it's running better. Eliminated the need for the choke when running. The mix screw had been set pretty lean which explains the need for a little choke.

This leads to another question:

Do both cylinders get spark at the same time each time? When using an inductive pickup digital timing light, I switched between the 2 and 4 cycle settings, which doubled the readout. Seemed like the 2 cycle setting was more accurate by ear, averaging around 400 rpm with the engine struggling to keep running.

Callen

Yes, your Briggs does.

Edited by Callen