scotty

New b-80 transmission problem

scotty

I just got a new b-80 and when i put it in gear i can push it with ease. And sometimes it will lock the tires. It appears that it was left outside for a long time.

KyBlue

Sounds like maybe the hubs are turning on the axle(s) ... thats a pretty common occurrence

• Like 1

Racinbob

I gotta ask. By any chance is the drive belt missing or broke? Or the parking brake set. If the brake wasn't adjusted properly it could release tension on the drive belt but not clamp the brake drum tightly.

Racinbob

Something else to check is the input pulley.

Coadster32

Could be clutch pulley adjustment...or lack of.

scotty

Well i got it jacked in the air and when i spun one wheel the other one didnt even budge. I got one rim off and the other will not even budge to see if the hub is spinning on the axle. I bought this from a guy he called it a parts machine i plan i fixing it up he said the tranmission was good. there is currently no belt on it but there was when i got it.

Edited by scotty

scotty

The hubs are not spinning on the axles I forgot to mention this is a 4 speed.

Edited by scotty

racinfool40

if the wheels-axles spin only so much one way or the other..I am gonna say differential bolt came loose and is hitting the 11-44 tooth gear..been seeing that alot here lately in the newer 4-speeds like in the B-80's..had 4 here I tore down and that was the cause.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I was just going to ask if this was a 4 speed or an 8.  In post # 6...was the trans in neutral when you spun the wheel???  Also, you can look at the axle to see if it is spinning inside a hub by looking at the axle on the outside of the hub.  It's there to look at. 

Let me ask you this...did you buy this "parts tractor" with the idea of fixing it up???  I am thinking you may be able to fix this # 5084 Wheel Transmission...you willing to get into this??  It does not cost any thing to take it apart...it may cost a little to put back together...depends on what we find...where are you at here???  :)

Mike (racinfool40) got his post in just before me.  Regardless...you need to figure out where you are at with this "parts" horse...and open the trans.  What kind of help can we offer you??

Edited by stevasaurus

scotty

I bought this with the intention of fixing it. The guy told me transmission was in useable shape. And I will have to look tomorrow I can't remember if that was in gear or if it was neutral. It was purchased with a blown motor that I just took off. The axles do not spin inside the hub.

Edited by scotty

stevasaurus

scotty...we can fix this trans.  :)  I just have to say...this guy told you the trans was usable when the horse has a blown engine?? :eusa-think:   This is the kind of thing I live for...a challenge for sure.  Let me know if you are up for getting into this trans...can walk you through it if you want.  :)  There are other guys here also that love to help...it is not about me.  :)

• Like 1

scotty

Will this be very difficult? I took the trans off the frame and when I spin the hubs they only go so far then I can spin them fairly easy (in neutral). Kind of sounds like racinfool was talking about. The key on the on input shaft is in good shape so that is definetley not the problem. When i spin the hubs in gear they move freely.

Edited by scotty

groundhog47

Will this be very difficult? I took the trans off the frame and when I spin the hubs they only go so far then I can spin them fairly easy (in neutral). Kind of sounds like racinfool was talking about. The key on the on input shaft is in good shape so that is definetley not the problem. When i spin the hubs in gear they move freely.

Does the left and right wheel spin in same direction (cw=cw) or opposite (cw=ccw)? Does input shaft pulley, when in gear, move if hold one hub and turn, or does it fell "locked up"?  Can you turn input pulley in or out of gear? If you drain trans let us know if any water comes out.

As fa ras taking apart Sreve has an excellent tutorial and Mike prob has all the parts. My first experience was through a similar experience and those two got me fixed up. There is also a step by step process in manuals. Will edit in; cudos to Admin: 

Edited by groundhog47

scotty

When in neutral when I can get them to catch they spin in the same direction. When in gear and holding the hub I can easily spin the input pully

groundhog47

When in neutral when I can get them to catch they spin in the same direction. When in gear and holding the hub I can easily spin the input pully

Does either hub turn when you turn pulley in gear? Either way a take down is in need, hope manual above will help, Steve's video def will. 

scotty

Man i thought i was getting a good deal for 50 dollars i guess i didnt. I asked the guy several times and he swore up and down that the transmission was good. Neither hub moves when i spin the input pully.

Edited by scotty

stevasaurus

The trans is worth $50 all day...no matter what we find inside.  :)  You did OK.  When you split the trans...make sure you have the shallow side down.  You should be looking at the brake shaft when you open it.  Can you post some pictures?  Here is a link to a thread that rebuilds a transmission like yours...with videos...take a look.  :)

• Like 1

scotty

I have came to another problem of getting the rear hitch pin off and i assume the hubs will be miserable. this thing is really rusted up. Your videos really make it look simple!

Edited by scotty

bmsgaffer

The hubs and hitch pin are a regular problem around here... There is plenty of info for ways to get it off, but basically it comes down to pb-blaster, patience, and the right tool...

stevasaurus

Actually, it is pretty simple...the hard part can be those hubs and the hitch pin.  Start soaking the pin, try not to directly beat on the pin...it will mushroom.  If you have an air gun with a chisel that you can make into a punch...works great.  In the long run, just cut the pin on each side of the hitch with a sawsall and press it out.  Can just buy a new piece of steel to make another pin.  :)

Zeek

I have came to another problem of getting the rear hitch pin off and i assume the hubs will be miserable. this thing is really rusted up. Your videos really make it look simple!

Soaking may work for yours, but did zero for me.  I think it largely depends how much weather exposure they had.  

I got two words for you TORCH (carefully) & BIG PULLER (harbor freight), okay . . .three words . . .

I say carefully so you don't damage seals because you have to giter HOT.  I knew ahead I was replacing mine.

DSC05790.jpgDSC05789.jpgDSC05788.jpg

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2

scotty

Got the transmission draining nothing but water no oil even. Got the hitch pin out. tried pulling off the hub. Broke one working on the other.

stevasaurus

The plot thickens.  :ychain: Sure sounds like a working trans to me. :bow-blue:  I ended up using a 4" grinder to cut off a broken hub once.  The one you have to get off is the one on the brake side...then you can split the trans...take the differential apart in place and get the other axle out with that hub on and it is much easier to deal with.  :)  Most times the gears will clean up, even with electrolysis.  Take and post some pictures.

prondzy

well It sounds like Steve has you on the right track! I was going to mention I noticed you lived in New York and have experienced similar issues with water in the trans acting the way yours is and it depended on the temp outside if it would move or not. Good Luck!

• Like 2

scotty

Well i got the case apart. Looks decently clean.

IMG_20141204_171051_zps24ca624d.jpg

IMG_20141204_171047_zps468d754d.jpg

IMG_20141204_171039_zps9e1172f0.jpg

IMG_20141204_171033_zps271f5273.jpg

IMG_20141204_171025_zps42c2a795.jpg

IMG_20141204_171018_zps28f6890d.jpg

IMG_20141204_171013_zps31d7c5fb.jpg

Edited by scotty