89257-H

Charging System 257-H

89257-H

I have a 1989 257-H with a 17 horse Kawasaki engine that I am restoring. The charging system is putting out 17.8 volts. This will fry my new PTO clutch so I must regulate it someway. I installed a new regulator but to no avail. Can anyone give me some advise on his?

rmaynard

I don't have a 257-H, but looking in the manual section of this forum, under electrical, I found the charging circuit diagram. It appears to be a simple regulator. As with all regulators, proper grounding is a must. Be sure that the regulator is grounded to the chassis. If it is, and you still are getting 17.5 volts, then you have a bad regulator.

89257-H

Thank you Bob, I will check the grounding of the regulator. I put a new battery in the tractor a week ago and started it. I checked the voltage with it running and it was 14.4. When I started it the next day I saw the voltmeter on the tractor jump to 18. I got my digital meter and checked it and sure enough it was 17.8. That's where it was with the original regulator and now with the replacement regulator also. I have read other posts in this forum on overcharging systems on various WH tractors and some people are putting diodes in the circuit. Is overcharging a common problem with WH?

Save Old Iron

The addition of diodes will help a low amperage NON REGULATED system shave off a few tenths of a volt overcharging condition. Your system displays the symptoms of a faulty or ungrounded regulator.

Clip a jumper wire from the metal casing or mounting lug of the regulator directly to the battery [negative] terminal and retest the output from the regulator.

Edited by Save Old Iron

Save Old Iron

Also check the battery voltage with the engine turned off.

If the battery voltage is at 10 volts or lower, one of the cells could be shorted in the new battery causing constant excessive charge current from the regulator and leading to the eventual failure of any new regulator placed on the engine.

89257-H

Checked the ground on the regulator and it was bad. Cleaned everything with emery paper and put it back together and it's now 14.4 volts output. Thank you both for your help.

rmaynard

Glad you found the problem. Thanks for letting us know. :thumbs: