KyBlue

Look before you flip the switch!

KyBlue

Most of you here don't know that I do woodworking on the side. I have shipped pieces all over the world - and have a nice collection of woodworking tools. However some are used more than others. 

Anytime I need to do a Hole bigger than 3" but smaller than 6" I have to use a Circle Cutter that goes into the drill Press. Its basically a center bit, and a adjustable Arm with a Dagger Knife on the end. The center bit keeps it located as the Knife swings around and cuts through the wood in a Circle. Almost like a Power Chisel. Well .. this is such a rarely used tool, I forgot one time, about the knife that swings around.  My left hand was inside the arc and while I did get it back from where it was, I wasn't totally clear of the knife. 

248055_10150254481009595_573344594_86432

It cut my Middle finger from the First Knuckle, up the side, over the big knuckle, moved the tendon, exposed the bone, and up into the top of my hand before I could get it out of the machine. 

When I first pulled it back I didn't realize the damage that had been done. Headed to the house, Rinsed the blood off, saw bone, and in a panic, wrapped my shirt around my hand, jumped in my pickup (Its a Manual Shift btw) and DROVE MYSELF to the hospital that's 9 miles away.  When I walked in, the lady working the desk told me to have a seat and wait that they were a bit busy. I untangled my shirt from my hand and all the could see was blood...I was IMMEDIATELY  given a room.  haha 

They Did a Xray to make sure that I Didn't fracture anything, and while waiting for the tech I was running my right index finger up/down the exposed bone (i mean really how many times in our life can we touch our own bones while they are still IN place?). She told me that if I didn't stop she was gonna get sick...haha

I really don't recall the number of stitches it took but I think it was around 20 ... he did a very good job of sewing. 

IMG_20110724_233309.jpg

Three years later, the scar is smaller. I still have almost no feeling on the top of my hand, have limited strength to it, and haven't been able to hold a pinstriping brush, or my airbrush (i'm left handed) since ... Though I plan to start learning again. I also Drop things a lot with that hand ... gets frustrating sometimes.

Moral of the story? LOOK BEFORE YOU FLIP THE SWITCH! You're digits might thank you later!

• Like 6

Geno

Good post title that's for sure.  Some serious damage too.  :scared-eek:

• Like 1

KyBlue

Good post title that's for sure.  Some serious damage too.  :scared-eek:

Indeed.  I'll be grabbing a piece of glass to get back to practicing pulling lines in the coming weeks.  I don't use the Drill Press w/o thinking about what happened that day.

But as a side note ... I finished what I was building, and the piece now lives in NC and see's regular use...

• Like 1

Geno

When I first saw that I thought it was new.  I started thinking, you would have to teach me how to BBQ next Sat and that would be really be scary!    :scared-eek:      :laughing-rolling: 

• Like 1

KyBlue

When I first saw that I thought it was new.  I started thinking, you would have to teach me how to BBQ next Sat and that would be really be scary!    :scared-eek:      :laughing-rolling:

Haha Nah ... Have been sticking close to the warm house.  Too many hours working to get into anything in the shop.  This was done in May 2011... Was off work for a week ... First day back, Got pulled over by Ohio DOT and got a ticket too (they clocked me with the Airplane) ... Guy was shocked when he saw my bandaged hand..haha

• Like 1

AMC RULES

They Did a Xray to make sure that I Didn't fracture anything, and while waiting for the tech I was running my right index finger up/down the exposed bone (i mean really how many times in our life can we touch our own bones while they are still IN place?). She told me that if I didn't stop she was gonna get sick...haha

Kinda turning my stomach too.      :razz:

KyBlue

Kinda turning my stomach too.      :razz:

Only kind of? Well I'll do better next time just for you :)