Mr. 856

Chains...whats the trick?

Mr. 856

Put the rear weights and chains on the 856 today so I could break her in with some seat time. Hooked the plow up and figured id push some snow around. I got the chains on easily enough. I used 4 small bungees per tire on the inside of the wheels and one band of rubber hooked to four points on the outside. Everything seemed to be ok. After plowing for 30 minutes I only had 3 bungee cords left...........the other are MIA. Id like to do this a second time but not a third, fourth or fifth. What do you guys do on the inside of the wheels to keep chains tight? There is stuff on the inside(bracket mount, etc, etc, that seem to interfere with bungee cord location while wheel is spinning. Any tips?

I was pleased with the 856's performance today. Seems to be running pretty well. Hasn't skipped a beat yet and ive got any easy two hours on her working it. That makes me happy. Any tips on the chains would be appreciated.

rmaynard

I don't use anything on the inside or outside. I use the correct size chain for the tire, and fit them so they are tight without the need for anything extra.

• Like 5

wallfish

X2

let the air out of the tires and install the chains as tight as possible. They should have clamps that fit through the chain links so you put them through the links where the chains are the tightest you can get them. Air up the tire and they'll get even tighter.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Tire chains seem to loosen up some when in use.

Make them as tight as possible and put a bungee on the outside only. This is to take up the slack as they loosen up.

sorekiwi

I do what Bob and John said - no bungees, and fit them with the tires deflated.

bmsgaffer

I have chains slightly large for their application (they are eventually going on bigger tires, so i am not modifying them). When you put them on, suck up the inside as tight as possible, then you will take up all the slack on the outside.

I highly recommend getting an actual tire chain tensioner, it will take up the slack as roll and the chains adjust, keeping them from hitting the tractor. Mine has a ring in the middle with 4 springs.

Tankman

I use a five hook bungee on the outside only. Never used any tighteners on the inside of the wheel.

If your chains are too big you can remove a link or two to tighten 'em up.

When I back into the barn, up on boards front to rear; rear tires with chains, front tires, blade, always off the floor and out of the melting snow puddles.  :)

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

RJR49

Wallfish is right! You need to let some air out first. I find its VERY helpful to jack the tire up. Once you get the chain on spin the tire while yanking on the chain. You will be surprised how loose it gets. Re tighten the chain, and put air back in the tire. They should stay on without a problem. Wheel weights also help blowing or plowing snow.

can whlvr

I too take the air valve out,and I also take the tire off the tractor,it makes it easier to install