Sign in to follow this  
BPjunk

Well the Tecumseh fans ain't gonna like this

BPjunk

Well no exscuses this time as both the Tecumseh powered 552 and the Kohler equiped 633 were set up the same. Now I will say the 633 did weigh in at 545 lbs where as the 552 only weighed in at 540 lbs but I do not think the extra 5 pounds made any difference in the lenth of the pull for the 633.

THE RESULTS:

1963 model 633 with Kohler 6hp K-141 - 59 feet 11.6 inches

1962 model 552 with Tecumseh 6hp H-60 - 52 feet 10.8 inches

Here is a picture of the winner - 3 for 3 in the Battle of the 6hp Titans

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Attached Image

post-3-1224366037.jpg

BPjunk

In the world of winning or losing the Kohler won fair and square but I still can not help thinking the lenth of the distance pulled between the 6hp Kohler and the 6hp Tecumseh should have been closer. As predicted the lugging power of the Kohler did over power the high reving capability of the Tecumseh. I wonder if the results would have been much different had I let up on the throttle of the Tecumseh at the end of the pull instead of letting the 552 spin out at the end of the pull? :thumbs::banghead: If you will notice in the picture posted the 552 does have it's front wheels a few inches off the ground. :USA: The other factor that keeps me wondering is that in the first pull the 633 only beat the 552 by less then a foot and this is with a incorrectly set hitch hight on the 552. I will say the track condidtions were very poor in the first pull but today .... it was a good hookin' track. :omg:

Here is a picture of the 552 towards the end of the pull.

Attached Image

post-3-1224366806.jpg

Docwheelhorse

I still want to build a short frame tractor with a flathead briggs 5 and see how that compares... I'll betcha I can take the Tecumseh too... :USA: Mike (Sparky) and I built a C series with aBriggs 4 :omg: on it and it use to do preety good. His son drove it around when he was young and it use to even haul Mike and I around too. Hey Bill--are there any 1960's models with factory Briggs? I would sure like to get one. A GT1600 from the 80's is also on my wish list. I do have a Commando 800 with a Briggs 8 & something from the 60's would be slick... I know I know--only I would think it was cool to have a Briggs. Just like you Bill and your Tec's :banghead:

Tony

Brrly1

How about the GT2500- 11hp Briggs? Burly

CHARGER9AUTO

Tony, I have my '72 Commando 800 with Kohler K-181S it runs Good I think you told me about your '71 800 SPECIAL I could be mistaken . Ben....... :USA: :banghead:

evanloock

No 1960's Horses had B&S (breaks & scap'um) engines. The 1st available would be a 1971 800 Special.

Had to put that in....I'm with Bill...I really like my HH-60 & H55D engines. I worked at a lawn mower shop my summers off from law school. Briggs engines are certainly not my favorite...but they kept the shop in business with repairs!!!!!

Docwheelhorse

No 1960's Horses had B&S (breaks & scap'um) engines. The 1st available would be a 1971 800 Special.

Hmmmpppphhhh I'm insulted.... :banghead:

A motor has to RUN to break :USA: Mr. Tecumseh guys....

I dunno--I guess it is all luck, I love Briggs and they seem to NEVER let me down.

Yes the Kohler K's and Magnums are fantastic... but I have a soft spot for Briggs espescially the newer V twins. They are actually the better motrs than Kohler now... Go figure.

Tony

bambooheels

sinc we stated comparing current engines, not the older tecumsehs and kohlers, anyone would know that todays engines, put the kohler in last place. the tecumseh engine of today is by far a etter engine! however i will admit and i hate to do it, in yesteryear the kohler was the enine t beat and not for 20 years could briggs nor tecumseh do it. The K series will always be KING!!! JUST MY 2 CENTS. not sense

Duff

In the "current engines" department, does anyone have enough experience yet with one to comment on how the Honda replacements are holding up? :USA:

Duff :banghead:

Michael Bullington

just wondering what kind rpms each engine pulls under load...has anyone ever checked with a RPM guage?

bambooheels

over the past decade i have watched honda's demise however i must admit they have started making better on there engines in the last 2 years. ive seen more hondas and briggs come into my shop over the last decade then ever before. but then again alot more are being sold then in the past. lets be honnest most everything built nowadays is with the intent to replace it soon not last for years on end! again this is my 2 cents.. :banghead:

ol550

Maybe if you take a die grinder to the restrictor plate the Tecumseh would come to life at the end of the pull. :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay: :horseplay:

perry

The K series will always be KING!!!

the K-series is the KING of blown rods . :omg:

you can sell a kohler replacement connecting rod all day long, but cant seem to get rid of any briggs rods :USA: . i like the little tuckys when the carbs coroperate. and i do like kohlers, it just you see so many blown up. the briggs from the 60's run forever.

thanks for doing the pull test bill :banghead: . i was hopeing the little tucky would do it.

Sparky

I like the title of this thread Bill.

"Well the Tecumseh fans ain't gonna like this, battle of the 6hp Titans CONCLUSION"

Now when you say Tecumseh Fans, do you mean all 3 of em :banghead: ?

hehehehe.....Mike...........

HorseFixer

the K-series is the KING of blown rods . :USA:

Uhhhht OOOOooooo! I see smoke commin out of junksters ears! :banghead:

Duke

BPjunk

I like the title of this thread Bill.

"Well the Tecumseh fans ain't gonna like this, battle of the 6hp Titans CONCLUSION"

Now when you say Tecumseh Fans, do you mean all 3 of em :banghead: ?

hehehehe.....Mike...........

Uh Sparky,

Are ya' talkin' about me, my self and I? Those 3 ?????

DMESS

Bill, when are you going to admit the 1/4 hp advantage that the 633 has? :banghead: