Rich Gilbert

Mower belt cut-down

Rich Gilbert

Recently I had asked for advice on the belt for my RD36 on the 308-8 tractor and received a lot of valuable advice.  The brand new belt on it today is already cut down about 50% and may not make it through the final section of yard.  This is after about 40 minutes of mowing.  This is one of the expensive aramid fiber belts and it arrives in a Toro bag.

The bottom edge of the belt is fraying severely.  I hope the pics show it properly.

The pulleys all turn freely and look to be in line with each other.  The belt tensioner is now free-moving and lubed, and appears to be working properly.

post-13665-0-89719700-1416848157_thumb.j

post-13665-0-12530800-1416848200_thumb.j

the_nite_owl

It looks like the belt is riding low on the belt tensioner so that the bottom edge of the belt is rubbing at the edge of the tensioner. There could be a small nick or a rough rusty spot on the tensioner rubbing at the threads on the belt. There could also be a rough spot on one of the other pulleys as well, they appear a bit rusty. Smoothing them down might help the situation.

• Like 3

SousaKerry

I agree looks like the tensioner pulley. It may be that someone replaced it at some point with a generic pulley that has different spacing.  Or it could be upside down.  I have also seen where pulleys will wear down on the edge to a knifes edge and any little nick will chew the belts up baddly.  The edge of the pulleys should either have a small flat or a rolled edge.

Lane Ranger

I had a tensioner plate on a 42 inch recycler deck that was all wallored out on the holes from long use.  This made the belt  move sloppy on the deck between the  other pulleys. It was a new to me mower deck and needed repair.   The tensioner needed replacement and the  nylon parts that lift it off the deck needed replacement.     Also check your lift bar that attached to the mower deck and is used to lift the mower deck off the ground -sometimes the  holes that are used to attach to the tractor's lift are wallored out and can create an additional "bounce" impact on the deck when mowing.

post-339-0-30488300-1416852755_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-45972400-1416852771_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-76505500-1416853043_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-19886400-1416853092_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-70154400-1416853110_thumb.jpg

post-339-0-61718300-1416853073_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Rich Gilbert

Upside-down pulley???  I will disassemble it to find out.

Tensioner bar???  I do not think mine looks that bad but will also check that at the same time.

Wallored out???  I thought that was what certain farm animals did!  J/K

Thanks to all for your ideas.  Here's a couple of shots of the previous belt for reference.  Note how the V side is cut narrow, not the flat side.

post-13665-0-71763300-1416860022_thumb.j

post-13665-0-92546800-1416860068_thumb.j

smoreau

From the first pics. It looks like the tensioner pulley bolt or tensioner

Bar is causing the pulley to sit at a angle.

• Like 2

Rich Gilbert

One of the mule drive pulleys has now gone kaput so I need to source new pulleys for the mule drive.  Any suppliers on this forum?

the_nite_owl

They look pretty standard to me, could probably pick one up at the local Tractor Supply Company but I have not measured them.  I have two mule pulley setups for my D-160 and both seem to have grit in the bearings.  I have not pulled them apart to see if they are something that can be cleaned and repacked or just better to replace so it will be interesting to see what anyone else has to say about the pulleys.

gwest_ca

One of the mule drive pulleys has now gone kaput so I need to source new pulleys for the mule drive.  Any suppliers on this forum?

What are the original Toro part numbers? If I remember correctly Stens and Napa have direct replacements. They are a bit odd as the ID is 3/4". Keep track of the two spacers so you get them back in in the proper location.

Garry

• Like 1

cleat

I believe the wider spacer goes between the pulleys and the narrower one goes between the flat pulley on the outside and the belt guard.

Cleat

Rich Gilbert

Our TSC did not have any matching pulleys nor could they order any since I do not have the model number.  The ID tag is gone from the tractor.

gwest_ca

The 1986-1990 36" RD deck was model 05-36MR04 and not necessarily what you have but the front idler assembly was the same.

Operator manual

IPL

Service bulletins

V-idler # 104974 = Stens 280-750 = Napa 7-05486

Flat-idler # 104975 = Stens 280-743 (Napa does not have this one)

Garry

• Like 1

Rich Gilbert

Here's the pics of the mule belt pulleys, ordered the new pulley and other parts last week, still waiting on parts.  You can see the v-pulley center is gone but the flat pulley looks and feels good.  The inner bearing race came right off with an air chisel.  The stub end cleaned up with emery cloth.

post-13665-0-98457600-1418056245_thumb.j

post-13665-0-56042100-1418056283_thumb.j

Edited by Rich Gilbert