Sign in to follow this  
wolfcoln

312-8 Hi Low Transmisson Problem

wolfcoln

Hi,

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1985 312-8, for 50 bucks. It runs great, has a 48 inch deck and it has real straight sheet metal. Anyways it has a habbit of slipping out of Hi range. Is there something simple to fix the problem or do I have to get into the tranny. The tractor is great otherwise and mows like a dream so it is worth fixing. Anyone got a spare 8 speed rear end.....

Thanks for any help

Terry

oldandred

If youre going to just use it mow and pull carts with I have seen guys make a piece of metal to keep it in gear with but other than that yes you will have to split the case frist off make sure the shifter isnt bent hitting the metal shift pattern

T-Mo

I remember seeing your post over on MTF when you bought the tractor. I'm not sure what to say - either praise and congratulations for stealing the tractor at that price or disgust for stealing the tractor at that price. I wish someone would sell me a tractor that nice for $50. :banghead:

Docwheelhorse

Unscrew the hi/lo shift knob and stick a 4 or 5" piece of chain over the lever. Then screw the knob back on. Take the front 1/4" bolt out that is holding down the shift plate and replace it with a 1/2" longer one after you insert it thru the chain at the right link to keep it tight. The transmission won;t pop out of high again. Yes its a band-aid and the trani would need to be split to be fixed.

Tony

htopjimmy26

For grins it couldn't hurt to try removing the shift plate, drive it around and see if the levers bent or somethings in there popping it out of gear? :banghead:

wolfcoln

Hi Thanks All,

Thats a start and a temporary fix.

Terry

BPjunk

Terry,

What you find is that the Hi/Lo shift fork is worn to the point it will no longer shift fully into the range selected. Check to see if the oil is up to proper level and does not metal particles in it.

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

Rod(NASNUT)

Here is what you need TuesdayOctober282008.jpg you need part 39 is called the Ball-Stop part # 3517 and also part 40 is called spring-stop Part #3518. as of 2 or 3 years ago you could still get them from Toro.