Horse46

WH ? id needed from picture

Horse46

Can anyone tell me what model this is, I think it's a commando 800

post-14145-0-43172100-1416334888_thumb.j

prondzy

I don't think there was a commado 800 someone correct me if im wrong) decal on side looks like 800 special, and those I think had briggs, do you know the engine size? from the pick kinda looks like a c series c-100, 120, 140. 160... maybe someone will see something im missing, hope this helps

• Like 1

rmaynard

Look at the ID tag right above the height adjuster. That should give you your answer.

Horse46

Ok this is the deal, I don't want to disclose the whereabouts of this as I may try to buy it

I only have the pic at the moment it's a barn find. I think its a commando 800 as its a Kohler motor for sure as for that i am guessing

rmaynard

Can you ask the seller to give you some additional info?

rmaynard

Just now noticed that you are in Wales. There are some different models in Europe than those over here. Again, the info off the ID tag would be instrumental in ID'ing this unit.

Geno

I don't think there was a commado 800 someone correct me if im wrong) decal on side looks like 800 special, and those I think had briggs, do you know the engine size? from the pick kinda looks like a c series c-100, 120, 140. 160... maybe someone will see something im missing, hope this helps

They had a Commando 800 in 72, I have one of those.  There indeed was an 800 Special and regular 800 with a Briggs.  :)   They also made a Work Horse 800, have one of those too.

Looks like it says 3 Speed under the 800, that's what my Work Horse decal looks like.  If it had a hood decal we could see it may help.  Bob is also right, may be something just for you guys.

Edited by Geno

gwest_ca

Some possibilities

Came across these with serial numbers. There was even a 1979 Commando 800 8-speed model number 91-08K891. Never surprised by what shows up in Europe.

Garry

rmaynard

What I see is a 4-speed and what looks like a 10 or 12 HP engine. The 800 would have been an 8 HP, and the 10 or 12 HP would have had an 8-speed.

• Like 1

rmaynard

Also, if you lighten the picture you will see that it has a front tach-a-matic.

Horse46

I've mailed the seller and he is shocked by the amou of interest, so I guess others have also spotted it! Damn.

He believes it's 23 hp Bostrom whatever that is???

Fingers crossed it doesn't go silly.

Great fun trying to identify it from a poor picture though!

rmaynard

He believes it's 23 hp Bostrom whatever that is???

It's a Kohler, 10 or 12 HP (in my humble opinion)

Geno

It's a Kohler, 10 or 12 HP (in my humble opinion)

Good eye Bob.   :handgestures-thumbsup:   The small block like the 8HP shroud would not even reach the hood in a side view.  Also if it indeed came with a Kohler it would have to be a Commando, they're the only ones with Kohlers.

rmaynard

However...they made some strange variations over in Amnor.

• Like 1

Horse46

Not sure if this helps?

What is that under the dash, looks a bit like a regulator rectifier?

post-14145-0-65558800-1416350588_thumb.j

Edited by Horse46

rmaynard

That's what it is.

rmaynard

If this is an American made tractor, I would conclude the following:

A close inspection reveals a plastic dash, a 4-speed transmission, a Kohler 10 or 12 HP engine, a fuel shut-off valve located on the left side of the dash tower (hood stand), a Tach-a-matic hitch and a square hood with a four slat grill, and a hood ornament. The side mounted fuel valve is #8023. That valve was found on many different models, but combined with that hood along and the tach-a-matic would only have been found between 1972 and 1975. (After 1975 there was no hood ornament). So all the models between 1972 and 1975 with the side fuel shut-off, 10 HP or higher engine, 4 speed transmission include:

1-0393, Raider 10 4-Speed Tractor, 1974

1-0352, Raider 12 4-Speed  Tractor, 1974

This is based on info about USA made tractors, not those manufactured in Amnor. :confusion-shrug:

JustinW.73

They had a Commando 800 in 72, I have one of those

What a surprise. Would have never guessed.  :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

If it was me, I would get it and ask questions later. I can't think of a single  :wh:  I wouldn't own.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Geno

In the first pic it looks like a short frame.  The breather looks real close to the hood front.    :eusa-think:

Edited by Geno

Horse46

If this is an American made tractor, I would conclude the following:

A close inspection reveals a plastic dash, a 4-speed transmission, a Kohler 10 or 12 HP engine, a fuel shut-off valve located on the left side of the dash tower (hood stand), a Tach-a-matic hitch and a square hood with a four slat grill, and a hood ornament. The side mounted fuel valve is #8023. That valve was found on many different models, but combined with that hood along and the tach-a-matic would only have been found between 1972 and 1975. (After 1975 there was no hood ornament). So all the models between 1972 and 1975 with the side fuel shut-off, 10 HP or higher engine, 4 speed transmission include:

1-0393, Raider 10 4-Speed Tractor, 1974

1-0352, Raider 12 4-Speed  Tractor, 1974

This is based on info about USA made tractors, not those manufactured in Amnor. :confusion-shrug:

Good spot on the hood ornament, I missed that. I think you are spot on with the Raider too.

I'm waiting on a reply, different time zones and all that, I'll keep you all informed.

It's not actually for me ( sort of :-P) a friend of mine fell for my C-101 and needs one of his own. However I may need it more!!!

Anglo Traction

I'm with Bob's observations and reckoning :handgestures-thumbup: .

It's definitely built in Belgium. Look's like a 10 or 12hp. It has the pre 1972 dashtower and gear selector decal.

I'd guess it has the separate Clutch & Brake pedal set up (post1973), the Dash panel and decals are definitely post 1973.

Bostrum is the makers name of the seat, so the owner has  seen the label on the back of the seat. Don't know where the 23hp comes from.

Belgium Assembly plant stuffed 4 speed trannys into 10hp models to use up surplus stocks and badged them up with discontinued names (in U.S.).

Reckon it's a post 1973 , start with a model number of like 1-036* or 1-035*. 

If it was a pre 72 chassis frame, you would not have an 'tach o matic' pulley unit, as the frame was not bored to take the rear lifting 'T' bar for the Mower Deck, and so would have had the 2 blade Cross Shaft Model Deck and Mid Mount Idler.

I also can't see the Fuel Tank under the Hood (bonnet)?. 

Would like to see a pic of the other side of the machine really.

Edit- (The Engine is not original by the look's of it. The Flywheel housing aperture look's larger than the earlier standard. So I reckon the engine is around 1980. The 8hp having given up at some point.)

Either way, if the Engine is good, the rest look's ok, suggest you snap it up.  

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

Horse46

The detective work you guys have done is fantastic, I've enjoyed it more than I should have.

I did wonder if the name may have been taken from the seat, as I googled that for a mower but got nothing.

As for knowing what year the dash tower is, well what can I say? Truly the conisuer of all things WH.

Armed with the info you have all given I would have to agree with the Raider model.

So as this has a tac a matic deck, anyone know if it fits my C series???

rmaynard

It should. C-series are all tach-a-matic.

Horse46

:-( oh well never mind, the owner has sold it. Never got anymore info either. I wonder if anyone on here from the UK brokered a deal?

Thanks for all the help everyone it was fun.........let's do it again!