grinchsr

DOUBLE LIFT ASSIST SPRINGS

grinchsr

Has anyone ever tried using 2 lift springs on their snow blower?  I am finding that if I put too much pull on one spring it just pops off.  I have 2 springs and they both have the same shape on the end hooks so I don't think it is bent. 

Ed Kennell

I used 3 springs on mine.  This was before I got the 520H with hydro lift.

post-7208-0-96641600-1416179946.jpg post-7208-0-08711800-1416179962.jpg

• Like 1

skrusins

The spring part no.4629 is much thicker and shorter than the one in the picture.

I'm using the factory one and does seem to give me ay problems also the book shows

to mount the spring on the bar that is attached to brake and clutch pedal. 

grinchsr

I am using the same mounting round bar you are talking about but it still pops off.  I don't want to heat it up and reshape the end of the spring because that will weaken the spring.

Ed Kennell

The  springs in the picture were made from old garage door springs and were attached to a rod in the mid attach-a-matic. They actually had enough lift to carry the blower about 2" off the ground. When the blower made contact with the snow, the weight of the snow would lower the blower.  The springs could be adjusted to have -15 to +15 lbs. force on the lift lever.     Gotta do what's required to git-er-done.

• Like 1

doc724

I am using the correct spring and I have the flag in the proper (upper) mounting hole in the rock shaft.  It works just fine and is relatively easy to lift.  However, I experimented with moving the flag attachment to the mid hole in the rock shaft (to get higher lift on the blower) and it was next to impossible to lift the blower with the same amount of spring tension.  If you are using the correct assist spring and mounting the flag in the upper hole, the spring should not slip off the round bar, if fact it was really difficult to get the spring over the bar in the first place.  Something in your set up must be different than WH recommended.

grinchsr

THANKS for all the help.  I just borrowed my sons lift spring and it stays on.  He only needs it to till in the spring so it is mine for the winter.  Looks like my springs might be tired and retired

GlenPettit

Here are some OEM Lift Assist Springs still available:

And this is the correct way the original Spring actually mounts under your tractor, using the original "bar" and "flag", it should provide plenty of assist-lift by itself, being it's made of very heavy duty material:

Screenshot2013-10-16at74216PM_zpsb86f5dd

(picture from 7/12/11 mdntspec)

Over time, the Springs can weaken after 20-30 years, especially if tension is left on them, only can permanently fix by re-annealing, (or a temporarily fix by shortening; but they tend to break if bent when old).

Glen

Edited by GlenPettit