mbarb54

Help with clutch or snow thrower attachment problem

mbarb54

With winter around the corner, I decided to do a preseason check on my 310-8 which has a 42" single stage snow thrower attached. The tractor started up fine but when I engaged the PTO clutch the snow thrower auger did not engage.and while the motor was running it was clearly straining. I then quickly disengaged the clutch. I checked the auger and at first it wouldn't move at all. Then with effort I was able to get it to move back and forth maybe 1/3 turn, but that's about it. The chain is okay and not off the sprocket. Any ideas on what the problem might be is much appreciated

I need to be ready when the white stuff falls.

Thanks in advance.

Michael in WI

Edited by mbarb54

Ed Kennell

Has the  drive chain  jumped off a sprocket  and jammed the auger ?

Edited by ekennell

mbarb54

The drive chain appears okay. It has not jumped the sprocket.

squonk

One of your jack shaft or sprocket bearings may be seized. I would take the master link off the chain and check everything to be sure. If everything is original it may be time for an overhaul.

• Like 1

mbarb54

I bought the snow thrower about 3-4 years ago. It had been rebuilt and reconditioned. I suppose bearings could still seize. Thanks for the tip.

Ed Kennell

One of your jack shaft or sprocket bearings may be seized. I would take the master link off the chain and check everything to be sure. If everything is original it may be time for an overhaul.

:text-yeahthat: With the chain off, you can isolate the problem.

I would also check the auger and housing for clearance at the center of the auger.  If you can turn it 1/3 turn, the auger may be bent.

• Like 1

Forest Road

It's a good idea to change your chain every couple of years. They stretch and wear the teeth. $20 Is cheap insurance

Edited by Forest Road