snowmoboyle

1989 520H Clutch Idler Pulley

snowmoboyle

Hi guys -

Been a lifelong rider/operator of Toro/Wheelhorse rigs.  When I was 6 my neighbor purchased a 312 classic that years later, when I was 13 pursuaded my dad to also buy a 312 Classic with the singlestage blower as well.  This rig helped me through the yard work, 5 mowing jobs, and our own property during my high school years and dad retired it a couple of years ago and sold it, 16xx hours and no rebuild, no smoking either on that big old 12hp kohler.  It had seen better days, but was still working!  Dad had picked up a deal on a 520H 1997 model I believe to replace it..  That then became my dream rig... nothing better then a twin sound....

Flash forward a few years, I have moved north more (northern Wi) and need something to keep up the yard as before a push mower covered the duty.  In a small world, luck would have it I come across the actual 312 classic that my neighbor had purchased in 1985.  He had long passed, but his son was still using it as a woods mower.  Price was fair, and dad tore into it as a project.  Alot of parts went into it, but I wasn't worried as it was going to be something I'd have for a long time.  I get it up here, use it two weeks, and find a 520H with a two stage blower, and cab, for $450 that I can't pass up.  What a wild ride - but here I am with winter storm watch coming for Monday and I have some work to finish before I'm ready to work this thing!  (Side note, I've had it for a couple of months so I should've done the work a long time ago lol)

The clutch idler pulley is completely worn - actually working down on the bolt that holds it in place.  Also needs a cooling fan. Is replacing either of these a big deal? I see taking the wheel off will get me easy acess to the fan, but do I have to take some panels off to replace the idler pulley?  Anything difficult or tricks I'll need to know?

post-13850-0-42072500-1415485810_thumb.j

Bought from the 2nd owner, who inherited it from the original owner.  The original owner purchased it new, and only used it for blowing.  Has a front push blade that must've been used a couple of times.  Fluid filled tires even!  almost 900 hours I believe.  I'm interested to see how it blows the snow!!

Ed Kennell

You'll have to take the belt guard off to access the clutch pulley.

Oh, :WRS:

Geno

Nice rig and :WRS:

snowmoboyle

You'll have to take the belt guard off to access the clutch pulley.

Oh, :WRS:

It's the idler pulley thats part of the hydrostatic drive - it's right next to the cooling fan.  Attached to the release lever - I noticed dad's doesn't have that.  What was the reasoning behind that one?

snowmoboyle

And whats the easiest to get parts - Toro dealer? Online sources at all?

Thanks!

bmsgaffer

It's the idler pulley thats part of the hydrostatic drive - it's right next to the cooling fan.  Attached to the release lever - I noticed dad's doesn't have that.  What was the reasoning behind that one?

If yours has a handle on it, it was used to release the load from the motor/starter for cold starts. (I am assuming back in the day when the battery technology wasn't as good).

They stopped that feature some point along the production run. It serves solely as a belt tensioner on the later models.

varosd

Real easy to replace the cooling fan.

On my Workhorse with the same tranny, the fan pulley bolt sheared off and the fan hit and broke apart. all that was left was sheared off bolt! used a easy out .

the fan is about $20 I chose to replace the the bolt and the "special washer" with OEM parts.

Then the tranny release lever came out of the console!

a rod that goes through the bottom of the release lever had wallowed out the back until it let go. I could insert it back into the console and fish around to catch the rod!

real easy to replace, have to take off the console shift plate and the belt guard and its some E clips if I remember right.

off fleabay, I got a used pulley,releaselever,rod,clips etc for $15.

snowmoboyle

Real easy to replace the cooling fan.

On my Workhorse with the same tranny, the fan pulley bolt sheared off and the fan hit and broke apart. all that was left was sheared off bolt! used a easy out .

the fan is about $20 I chose to replace the the bolt and the "special washer" with OEM parts.

Then the tranny release lever came out of the console!

a rod that goes through the bottom of the release lever had wallowed out the back until it let go. I could insert it back into the console and fish around to catch the rod!

real easy to replace, have to take off the console shift plate and the belt guard and its some E clips if I remember right.

off fleabay, I got a used pulley,releaselever,rod,clips etc for $15.

Awesome - thanks!  I have it pulled in the garage, ready to tear into whenever have the time again lol. However, they are forecasting 8-15 tomorrow so might have to do it asap lol. Is there a good place online to look up part numbers? Then I could see if there is something on ebay, otherwise just get it ordered up at the toro dealer in town!

snowmoboyle

I'm on psep.biz looking up OEM parts - not finding that darn weird pulley setup that this year model has!?!?

gwest_ca

1988 and 1989 use the same parts list

Garry

snowmoboyle

1988 and 1989 use the same parts list

Garry

Garry -

I looked under the spec sheet that shows the cooling fan, and that pulley setup doesn't look the same, like the idler I need isn't in there.  Am I looking in the wrong area? 

snowmoboyle

Oooook think I found it - 112426 ??? I think I got lucky lol

gwest_ca

Oooook think I found it - 112426 ??? I think I got lucky lol

That's it. The original parts lists are so much easier to use. The online lists include the 520-HC idler but fail to identify which model uses which pulley.

Garry

varosd

I have the original parts manual and unlike parts tree, toro etc. it breaks down between the different models.

for example. the special washer under the hydro fan.  the 520  with Eaton 1100 tranny takes a certain length bolt and 1 washer, the 518 with the Eaton 700 take a different bolt and 2 washers.

snowmoboyle

I have the original parts manual and unlike parts tree, toro etc. it breaks down between the different models.

for example. the special washer under the hydro fan.  the 520  with Eaton 1100 tranny takes a certain length bolt and 1 washer, the 518 with the Eaton 700 take a different bolt and 2 washers.

I think it was a 3/8 coarse thread, 1 1/2 if I remember.  What does your book say for the 520H I have, for bolt and washer specs?

varosd

1988/89 (and other models/years) 520 hydro fan bolt and washer

# 908002,   bolt 1/4-20 x 5/8   I couldn't find a 5/8 bolt local. should be grade 5   (the 516/518 used a 2 1/4 bolt)

#1033995, special washer, 9/32               (the 516/518 used 2 washers)

snowmoboyle

Now I know why I'm off - I'm thinking of the bolt for the pulley - that was the 3/8 one I'm thinking of. 

Thank you everyone for taking the time to post - I have the tire off, and the fan off already and starting to loosen the rusty ol' screws for the panels so I'll have access to the pulley.  Parts will be in by the weekend, and I'll be working on it Sunday.  I'll get a picture of it at work and post on here HOPEFULLY Sunday night.... cross fingers lol

varosd

bolt for the idler pulley is #106193 Special bolt 3/8-16 x 1-1/2   looks like a shoulder bolt. :D

snowmoboyle

Well that went very well.  I actually just removed the handle from that release lever, and dropped it down to change the pulley.  No need to pull the top shifter plate or the side plate.  Take the belt off the rear pulley for the transmission and you have room to get that pulley replaced!

Might need a little carb clean/adjustment as it seems like the governor is playing around sometimes but when I'm into the snow and working it its smooth running.  It may even be some older gas being ran through.  That thing throws the snow!  I forgot the pictures - next time for sure.  It will be fun to have a day off when we get dumped on next - we have about 20" plus so far, and have around 6" of lake effect coming Monday/Tuesday

Oh, those cabs - wow.  I was actually hot inside there!!!  This is just a whole new way to do yard work ..... my wife looked out at me through the window a few times, and just had that smile :)