82Caddy

Is this a good deal?

82Caddy

I'm hoping this is the right spot for this question, if not, please let me know and I'll have a moderator move it to the correct area.

I found this while browsing craigslist.

00808_123Dftu06CH_600x450.jpg

Has a mower deck that is clearly missing pictures.  Original engine according to the seller, how c.omplete nobody knows without going to look at it.  Selling is asking 200$ and seems pretty firm on that price.  Is it worth that much?  It's a solid 1.5 hours one way from me to just go look at it. 

I don't need this tractor but I also don't want to just let a "good" deal pass by and see this tractor go to the scrapper.

Thoughts or am I just crazy for even looking at this?

Thanks!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Question is...     :scratchead: 

do you think it's a good deal?

Edited by AMC RULES

Geno

First thing I would do being that far away is ask for a lot of pics.  :)

82Caddy

Question is...     :scratchead: 

do you think it's a good deal?

Seeing as how my last wheel horse was free and I'm not entirely sure what this one is.  I have no idea if it is a good deal or not.

First thing I would do being that far away is ask for a lot of pics.  :)

I did ask for more pictures of it.  Seller seems not interested in selling or at least getting pictures of just one of the lawn tractors and wants to sell all 20+ at one time.  This is the only wheel horse in the bunch.

• Like 1

Geno

If he wasn't willing to work with me I would move on.  I wouldn't spent 3 hours on the road to see the other side of the tractor was damaged or had even more parts missing. 

• Like 2

546cowboy

All I can say is I've been dumb enough to pay more for less than that but there are always the parts that can be used on other model. Actually I paid $200 for a really rusty 653 a few years ago that was never going to return to the living but I did get many parts from it that would have cost me at least that much if I could find them.

Actually that deck looks pretty good but ( may be rusted  bad but you won't know til you see it ) there are a few missing parts and the sheet metal looks pretty good too. I say go for it. The picture does leave a lot to be desired. :twocents-mytwocents::music-rockout::thumbs2:

Edited by 546cowboy
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Is an intriguing pict though, huh?    :eusa-think: 

• Like 2

Firpo701

It looks to be an early lawn ranger. I'm with everyone else though...need more pics! ;-)

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

You don't have to go look at it now......

Gene beat you. Lol

Imho.....I like it.

Glenn

• Like 1

82Caddy

Well, if Gene went from Kentucky to Minnesota for it, he sure can have it :)

• Like 2

Geno

That ain't gonna happen...  At least not without more pics.  :laughing-rolling:

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents: I'd  take a stab at prob 61- maybe 63 Lawn Ranger. No seat, wrong steer wheel, has engine, (Tecumseh if LR), ? transaxel roll or no roll?, mower deck if you intend to use, $100 or so parts missing..... value guess $75 - $100 unless you really want it bad. And if seller has more investment there I understand them wating to at least try to break even :handgestures-thumbup:  

I paid $75 (and that is no brag, have done better since) for a 66 with blown :deadhorse:  engine, no belt guard, no crankshaft, all deck parts there, found some bad parts in/on it, was 575 mis from home where found and detoured 75 mis outa way so went ahead and popped. I feel that was to much but can only chastise myself for not asking more before detoured. Since only had one at time, fig'd would not get another chance :wh:  I am still new to this sector of collecting and I'm a penny pincher :oops:      

post-8388-0-16488500-1415459160.jpg

Edited by groundhog47

WH nut

50 dollar tractor tops

Irv

I think a lot of people wanting to sell something look on cl and ebay and see the often ridiculous prices being asked and think they can get big money for what they have so they list accordingly. Of course, most of the people asking the high prices aren't selling the item and neither will the person looking to score a big buck for junk. I agree with WH Nut but I wouldn't go out of my way for it unless it was one I really wanted or needed a lot of parts from.

• Like 1

Geno

Interesting you just said that Irv.  I just got off of the phone with someone that called me about my CL wanted ad.  He started off by saying I have a vintage B60 WH.  I told him oh no, what do you want for it.  It went south from there.  If someone even says vintage or antique I'm ready to run!   :laughing-rolling:

• Like 4

jackhammer

Geno GEno GENo,     - -   open mouth insert foot :teasing-poke:

• Like 1

Geno

Some days I really want to take the ad down...  :eusa-doh:

km3h

Around here I ahv e seen the same tractors for sale for months at a time. They just keep sticking them up there hoping that someone will pay the high price they are asking. I'm like Geno. If the ad says vintage i do not even call them unless the price is posted and is reasonable.

• Like 3

JoeM

I concur with all said, overpriced pieces of their gold! But I have been in those positions were something just pulls you in its direction. Me being, “tightâ€, too, (sometimes my wife has to spray WD on me)! I’ve found with them sell’n tractor folks “cash is kingâ€, and I’m always packing. Whipping it out, and most of the time paying as little as half the asking price.

In the case of the 1-1/2 hour drive deals, I do try to negotiate and anchor the sale before I leave to pick-up. Those are the toughest. But…..I do end the conversation with “well if it as you say I will take itâ€. I drove three hours one time and wow, the dude must have been one whopping photographer. I figured the pictures taken were not current. I told him that machine is not what you told me, and I am walking. That guy would not let me leave, he consulted with his wife, oh yeah, love those ones that have to ask for permission to sell a tractor. She accepted my walking offer and I bought it for much lower than the negotiated price.

I also like the ones that say runs and mows, then they say "might need the carb cleaned" uh huh!

• Like 1

squonk

"I just cut the grass with it" You get there and all the belts are gone and the tires are flat!  :ROTF:

Geno

Geno GEno GENo,     - -   open mouth insert foot :teasing-poke:

I don't get it?  :eusa-doh: