texas599

518xi Questions

texas599

Searching for a used tractor and came across a 1998 toro 518xi. It looks to be in pretty good shape, dealer maintained, 600hrs on the Kohler. Any thoughts on these? Parts availability, common issues? I have an older cub cadet, that I am trying to replace.

danjmah

My latest WH is a 1998 520xi (purchased Feb 2014) with 400+ hours. I love it!  - And Welcome to the forum!

Edited by danjmah
  • Like 1

Geno

Hello Tex and :WRS:

I don't have one but most around here love their Xi's.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict

522xi owner here. 

These machines are built like tanks and live up to the Wheel Hose marque .  Parts availability is still very good from my experience.

A common issue you may encounter is locating implements specific to 5xi line.  As you likely know, these machines are different than all the other WH models.  If you watch craigslist and other classified closely enough they'll pop up from time to time.

600hrs on a clean dealer maintained unit would be one to offer on.  Many on this board will say that 600 hrs is approaching middle age for well maintained kohler command.

If you get this tractor, you won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Texas,,,,,welcome to red square. I own a 522xi. Its great,,,,,,,,. Attachments are hard to come by. But if it has what you need then your set.

parts ,,,depending on what can be hard to get. The low hours are a plus. Somewhere recently, and I cant find it. A thread was started re over heating. Some have experienced it. Others will chime in. If you can post a pic or two. That is if you go back to check it out again.

Best of luck.

Glenn

doc724

Hello Texas,

You will not be disappointed with an xi machine.  As others have said, attachments are a bit hard to find but they are out there.  The only restriction on a 518xi is the the front spindles are too small to support a front end loader should you want to get one.  You will have to upgrade to 520xi/522xi spindles to make it safe.  I have 535 hours on my 520xi and I expect that it will out live me.

• Like 1

texas599

Thanks for the info, I am going to try and look at it today, from the pics it looks clean.  The seat looks to have a tear in it, but for $400 I can fix that.  My old Cub Cadet has the Kohler Magnum 10hp, with about 3K hours, can I expect the same from this one, giving that it has been maintained?  The only attachment I would want is the front blade, other than that as long as parts for the mower deck can be found it should be fine.  I started having trouble finding the spindles for my cub, last year.  I see parts tree seems to have parts.  Any common issues I need to be aware of?

Forest Road

I have a 522xi with a loader. Mine came w a worn out mower deck, rusted out 2 stage blower, and a nasty wells used snow plow. At 1100 hours she's still going strong. The xi's were the best built tractor to carry the WH logo. @ $400 it's a steel!

• Like 2

Snowmobileaddict

$400?!?

BUY IT!!!

• Like 2

papaglide

$400? I certainly hope that you bought it by now!

• Like 1

texas599

Going to look at it tomorrow, if it checks out I will purchase it. Anything specific I need to look at?

RMCIII

Texas - are you saying that the seat will cost $400 to repair, or that the "xi" is only $400.00?

I have a 518. Most members will tell you, I am probably a little more outspoken on the subject of the "xi" line. It is a fantastic garden tractor. It will do all you want and more. But the cost on replacement parts is crazy! Most members have 2 or 3 tractors and more. The older tractors, parts were/are interchangeable. The "xi" line can't be interchanged with any other model. Belts, bushing, decks, whatever. If you decide to get it, start stocking up on the wear and tear itmes.

Also, as Glenn stated, I was the one who started th thread on "overheating".... Mine was not really "overheating", but running hotter than what it had ran in the past. Come to find out, there is a service, that is stated in the engine service manual, to do a "head cleaning" at every 200hrs. This involves removing the engine to remove the back plastic panels that enclose the back side of the heads. Dust, and grass clippings work their way back into that section and eventually, it will need to be cleaned out.

Don't read this the wrong way..... The "xi" line is as tough as they come. I use mine year round. Have the snowblower and cab on waiting for the first snowfall. Since you are in Texas, that would be something you would not need to worry about. :handgestures-thumbupright:  . Just making sure you know what you are getting into if you decide to purchase it. If it was dealer serviced, then it probably had the head cleaing done at the regular scheduled time frames.When I got mine it only had a little over 150hrs. now it is sitting at 230hrs. So mine will see the head cleaning service next spring.

Rob

Rob

• Like 1

texas599

Thanks for the info, I found out a little more info on it. It was bought brand new and serviced every year with records. It has not been used in the last 2 years, since the husband passed. But was just serviced with new belts, batteries and filters. It has 619hrs and in the pics it looks very clean. What's the general consensus on these kohler engines, it's the ch-18? What's the expected life with good maintenance?

As far as spare parts are concerned, looking on Toros site most everything seems available. I will most likely pull the trigger on this Monday, that's the earliest she is available.

RMCIII

We can't spend your money.... But if it has the records and has been serviced, then I would say, it is a no brainer.

BUY IT!

• Like 1

redtractorfan

Great tractors. I own a 520Lxi and I can't tell you how much I love this thing. As for parts, I have been able to get about anything I've needed for it. If your particular model number doesn't have the part, you can try to look up newer model year for the tractor. I rebuilt mine and some parts were discontinued, but I found model numbers for newer 5xi tractors and got the parts I needed. I will end with this, you won't be disappointed if you do buy it.

Edited by redtractorfan
  • Like 2

shallowwatersailor

I have increased my ownership to three 5xi this past summer. Being older and tall, I appreciate the  ease to get on the tractor as opposed to the more classic Wheel Horse. No muddy footprints on the seat! I know that I appreciate the open station on them, and now that I have put the cab on my newest for winter it is even better.

The only improvements that I would make to the 518xi is to find a 520xi steering wheel. The 1" inch larger diameter makes it easier to steer plus it is thicker. I only say this because of owning both ( and now the 523Dxi with power steering is even better) that you would appreciate the difference. The snowplow is probably the most common attachment (besides mower decks) so you should find one eventually. Toro did make the GT-series tractors for New Holland from 1997 to 2006 so that is another source on the used market.

The spindles are the same for all five models of the 5xi. The only main difference between the five models are the engines; no cruise control and taillights on the 518xi; and the 518xi and 520xi with manual steering versus the 520Lxi, 522xi and 523Dxi having power steering. There were upgrades (or more cost effective manufacturing) after the initial years of some components.

Problem areas are few. The axles seals seem to be an issue, although with my three I only suspect one may have a problem. The Kohler installation requires it to be pulled for cleaning the grass clippings after a few hundred hours of mowing. There is a long thread on this.

You cannot go wrong with this model tractor

• Like 3

texas599

Here are some pics:

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thats so clean,,,,,,,I can see right through it.

Glenn

• Like 2

RMCIII

I NEVER knew Toro/Wheelhorse made an invisible garden tractor... That has to be PRICELESS!!!! :ychain:  :ychain:  :laughing-rofl:

• Like 2