1971Raider10

520-H mower belt melting to PTO disk

1971Raider10

Hey guys,

I have a 1992 520-H. When mowing for more than about 5 minutes the belt starts to melt to the PTO disk. The problem gets worse when the deck is lowered/cutting thicker grass. Could this be a problem caused by spindles being low on grease or needing replaced or is there another culprit I should investigate? I attached a picture showing whats happening.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Collin

post-6662-0-80606400-1415243246_thumb.jp

Edited by 1971Raider10

ericj

belt to loose and slipping would be my guess. do you have the correct belt.

eric j

squonk

Just for the heck of it, check your disc and the bearings inside of it. Could be the bell is getting hot enough to melt the belt. I had the outer bearing on a bell go bad 2 years ago without warning. Bearing turned blue instantly and lots of smoke. Bell was so hot I couldn't get it off fast  and it ruined the belt.

• Like 2

boovuc

I agree with Squonk as a first check. See how hot the bell housing is on the PTO setup first. (Don't do it by touch)!

If that is OK, then proceed to the spindle pulleys on the deck. If they are OK, look at the mule-drive pulleys. An infrared temperature gun is really handy for things like this. 

• Like 1

oldlineman

:text-yeahthat: could be clutch is slipping and making the bell hot thats what they said sounds good to me  

• Like 2

bowtieguy

I'm bettin' the belt is worn out and is NOT an OEM belt :scratchead:

squonk

I run non OEM belts and wear them to the cords and never melted one except when the brg siezed

• Like 1

Tim Bergfeld

This is how I do it. I tell myself k.i.s.s. keep it simple silly that how I solve all my problems. first check belt tension then take off the belt and rotate the drive spindle if thats good. Then the mule drive my bet is tension by not using a factory belt it might be a touch to long or a bad spindle