squonk

My new Super Whoopie Hub puller

squonk

I destroyed my old puller. It was an old GM front hub puller from the 80's and I tore the threads out of the cast housing. I got some 3/8 plate at an auction pile. I ordered 7/8" fine grade 5 rod for a forcing scrwew and super heavy nuts from McMaster-Carr. I took it all plus a hub to my fabricator friend and had him go to town. He welded 2 plates together for strength, 2 nuts for a large thread area and welded a nut to the rod for turning. I'm using 5 7/16" x 2" fine bolts to thread into the hub and will back them up with nuts. Who knows how long it will be before I need to pull another hub. I will post results.

post-2380-0-24977300-1414874884_thumb.jp

post-2380-0-80710200-1414874923_thumb.jp

• Like 7

Molon_Labe

From the looks of it, it should work just fine!

AMC RULES

Yeah that...beefy.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

pacer

Thats the way a puller oughta be!! :woohoo:

I recently needed to pull 2 and wasnt even gonna consider a 3 jaw or some of the other too risky pullers so I went digging thru my scrap boxes and managed to get one together similar to the one you show.

A 7/8" fine thread bolt with only about 1 1/2" of threads but luckily I had a threading die that size and I ran the threads up to the shoulder, and I also had a tap that size, and had a piece of 1/2" plate along with the 5 - too long - 7/16' bolts. A few minutes on the mill and I had the bolt pattern drilled and tapped... One of the hubs was one of those that would have been impossible to get off with a 'common' puller - I had to get out my 3/4" air impact wrench and let it sit and hammer away while the hub crept off must've taken 8-10 minutes. and yes I had been feeding it Kroil for 3-4 days.

I dont think it would hold up for another hard pull like that - I want to get another made up and probably be a copy of yours, it looks like it would hold up. You sure have to be careful with these dang hubs, they will break out all to easily without a heavy duty puller along these lines...

post-9681-0-55924400-1414893565_thumb.jp

• Like 3

JC 1965

That should do the job. Those hubs can be a bear to get off.

stevasaurus

Looks pretty nice Mike...:)