Rich Gilbert

Mower deck belts

Rich Gilbert

The 36" RD mower deck is eating belts a phenominal rate of 1 belt per 2 mowings ( or about 1 belt every 3-4 weeks).  There are fine grindings all over the deck so after the 2nd original-style (black) belt, I went to an aramid (blue) belt and it is also being eaten up.  The pulleys are greased and turn freely.  I do not see anything that is hitting the belts to cut them down.

This is on a 308-8 tractor and the new mule belt is doing just fine.  I replaced both of these belts just after I got the tractor in June.  They appear to all be aligned properly.  Any ideas???

gwest_ca

When bearings start to go in the idler pulleys they will lock up and get tight before they get real loose.

Also make sure the nuts on each side of the spring hook are not tight against the spring. They are there just to keep the spring on the bolt but the hook must be able to pivot.

The bolts mounting the idler bar must also be loose enough to allow the bar to slide under spring tension.

Also make sure the bushings in the idler bar elongated holes are still allowing the bar to slide.

Here is the parts list

Garry

• Like 2

squonk

Make sure the deck itself is in good shape. If the shell is weakened the spring tension will pull on the spindles causing them to tilt inward creating misalignment of the pulleys under load (flexing)

Edited by squonk

GlenPettit

Also check the inside of the each of the pulley grooves, where the belt rides - -

just a little raised rust in one spot can act like sandpaper or a knife,  and after 1,000,000

rotations (2 mowings), it can ruin a belt  ( from experience,  . . . indicator: fine black dust/shavings ).

Glen

• Like 1

Rich Gilbert

Thanks to all for the ideas, I have a lot to learn about these machines.

Well, I did not know that the idler pulley bar needed to slide, I have it bolted tightly to the deck  and the belt pulled VERY TIGHTso that might be the first problem.  That is how it was when I got it.  I will put a different bolt through the idler pulley bar to allow it to slide, clean and lube it well to see if that makes a difference. 

It looks like the deck itself is in pretty good shape so I do not believe it "flexing" any.

I will post a picture later to show the deck.

• Like 1

squonk

There you go. 'm sure that's your problem.  :)

Rich Gilbert

Here's 2 pics of the deck.  Only bad spot is at the left rear attachment point (see pic) (cannot cut and paste the pics!@#$)

bmsgaffer

Make sure to go over the parts list for that tensioner well.

It is supposed to be spring loaded and the slotted bar rides along bushings. I believe the bushing are just a hair big on it so you shouldnt be able to tighten the nuts enough to stop movement of the bar...

So all that to say check for the spring and bushings and they are in good condition. :)

Edited by bmsgaffer
  • Like 1