PaulC

tall chute blower parts

PaulC

has anyone made tall chute blower parts? I am just concerned with the sheet metal parts for the chute. I just picked up a nice tall chute blower from a local member and it is missing the chute. Two of the 3 pieces can still be bought through partstree but they would cost $175 bucks!!

They look simple enough to make so im wondering if anyone has converted a short chute at some point? if not anyone out there with a tall chute that would want to take measurements for me? I want to make the parts for the blower I just got but also thinking maybe I could make more for the other two short chute blowers I have?

see my attached screenshot where I point out the parts im referring too. number 1 might be tougher to make so im thinking maybe just number 5 and 48 would be enough?

any of you guys that have or have had tall and short chute blowers feel free to speak on the difference and benefits of each.

thanks paul

post-8772-0-84634800-1414601324_thumb.pn

PaulC

also just realizing I am missing the crank handle support item 28 hopefully someone will chime in and help me out with this stuff. Thanks Paul

bmsgaffer

The tall chutes and the short chutes have totally different turning mechanisms. The shorts were turned by a cable wrapped around and the talls have the worm gear setup. I dont ever remember seeing anyone who has done a conversion probably because of the amount of parts needed.

Surely someone can chime in here with the dimensions.... but I dont actually think $175 for all that is that bad assuming the rest is in good enough shape to last a long time.

PaulC

Thanks Brandon but I do have both units so im aware of the different turning setups. The tall chute parts bolt on to the turning ring and on the short chute I think the lower chute shroud is welded to the turning ring so I would think if the welds were cut tall chute parts could be put on with some modifications but maybe it hasn't been worth it to anyone? My short chutes do work fine but from most of the stuff ive read people say the tall chutes are much better?

I have lots of access to sheet metal and am a former fabricator so paying that kind of money for parts that look fairly simple to make is really tough for me. Now that I realize I am missing item 28 that would be another $130 bucks. I love this :wh: stuff just as much as the next guy but I have trouble spending big dollars on some of these parts. If I did indeed spend $300 to get these parts I don't ever think I could get that for the blower if I decided or for some reason had to sell it? Not everyone would look at it that way and that's fine but I do.

Im sure I can figure out how to make what I need but it would be a lot easier if I had to do less "figuring out"

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

That would be fantastic to be able to do it yourself, and yes once you get to $300 its pretty high. Especially since those prices are probably vastly inflated due to lack of supply.

I hope someone gets back to you, you could design up a kit to make all the short chutes into long chutes... might be prohibitively expensive, but sounds cool.

baerpath

Here's parts 1 and 5  and the worm gear shoot turner

Ton's of old snowblowers out there. This ones got a broken auger worm gear so I sold it to a parts guy for $50 and he'll part it out 

The crank holder is only a piece of rod easlily made  Just a thought

post-121-0-27373500-1414707239_thumb.jpg

PaulC

Yea Brandon that idea has already crossed my mind. I don't know how big of a difference the tall chute is though so I don't know if it would even be worth messing with a  good short chute just to add the tall chute but I wont give up until I find out!!! :laughing-rofl:

Duane that is an idea?? any clue what he would sell those two parts for?

At the very least I hope someone with a tall chute can chime in and give me the overall height measurement of the chute parts

Martin

im fabricating a tall chute for mine right now. this blower was originally a short chute, I'm keeping the cable rotational adjustment from the short chute and using a chute from an Ariens walk behind with a fabricated lower section. not up and running yet but the thread starts about here on the chute itself......

• Like 1