snowhound

Miller Tire Dual Wheel Kit

snowhound

Has anyone tried the dual wheel kit that Miller Tire sells?  I have a C145 whit a FEL that I want to put duals on for stability..

Ed

Nathanielperz

before you spend your money... if you have a welder you can make some pretty easily!

-Nate

snowhound

That's the thing I don't have a welder nor do I know anything about welding.  I'd like to learn but the garage I use as a shop only has a 30 amp service and at this time I don't have the funds to have the house service ugraded so I can get more to the garage.  I was looking at the Miller Tire kit because it is in my price range but I know nothing about the style that Miller sells.

Ed

Nathanielperz

Oh that's too bad

shallowwatersailor

I believe that it is a slice from a 10" or 12" PVC pipe and  carriage bolts. Check the recent thread about broken axles with duals.

snowhound

I took a look at the recent thread about broken axles with duals and it does have me rethinking.  I was going the dual path because my lot is very uneven and sometimes the C145 with the FEL feels top heavy even with the bucket just off the ground.  I do have a weight box but don't have the rear tires loaded or any wheel weights so I will start with loading the tires with RV antifreeze and see how that works.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them.

Ed

• Like 1

Geno

That's the thing I don't have a welder nor do I know anything about welding.  I'd like to learn but the garage I use as a shop only has a 30 amp service and at this time I don't have the funds to have the house service ugraded so I can get more to the garage.  I was looking at the Miller Tire kit because it is in my price range but I know nothing about the style that Miller sells.

Ed

There are 120 volt migs that will work on a 30A service.  I have one that I used to use for on site jobs.   :)

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Check the recent thread about broken axles with duals.

Share the link please?

:thanks: 

RMCIII

Since we are talking duals, I have to ask this..... I completely understand the need for duals and sometimes triples in farming...... BUT, wth, do you need duals for on a garden tractor other than it LOOKS REALLY COOL? If you load the wheels and put the proper wieght in the rear, I have yet to find something that I could not push or pulll, with the GT using the origional set up! Unless you are going beyond factory specs, or you are using a 12" molbord plow, or a 6' disc, there really should be no need for a dual set up IMHO!!!! I would have to guess, that unless you dropped the pressure in the primary tires, you would have maybe 25lbs of grip on each dual. Just does not make any sense to me.  Please help me see the light! Just a farm boy working in the city, trying to make it back to the farm, to make a livin!

Rob

snowhound

Search for hardened axles in Transmissions and Transaxles

RMCIII

Search for hardened axles in Transmissions and Transaxles

Is that an answer to my question? I understand the FEL need...... But the dual kit need for a GT in the 80-90% range of use is well overkill and maybe even useless. Especiall when it needs additional HP to turn the duals at only 25lbs. of force...... Again, I get the FEL.....also, moldboard plow, disc, and maybe even some other field application, beyond that..... why?

Rob

Edited by RMCIII

AMC RULES

Here's the link Rob...

old saying goes...

if we have to explain it...   :snooty: 

you just wouldn't understand. 

RMCIII

Here's the link Rob...

old saying goes...

if we have to explain it...   :snooty: 

you just wouldn't understand. 

Exactly my first point... It looks really cool! :handgestures-thumbupright:

MalMac

RMC, to answer your question, duals are used on big tractors to help with keeping the ground from compaction. Yes they help somewhat in traction. A single tire set up will sink in the field easier and compact the soil which is a no no. Simple spread the weight out = less compaction. Plus in muddy conditions keeps equipment from sinking = less chance for getting stuck. On a light weight garden tractor they are basically useless. Wheel Horse recommend duals for FEL use because they added stability but caused more leverage on the axles and caused them to break. They came out with a harden axel to overcome this but then started having transmission case's breaking instead of axels. All this came about because the legal department had to make the tractor more stable for the idiot that could not figure out the center of gravity was a lot higher with the bucket up off the ground.

• Like 2

RMCIII

Mal - Thanks... The question was just intended for GT's... I'm a farm boy, so that's why I asked the question, WHY duals on a GT. Completely understand the need for them in an agriculture application...Compaction and traction is what one looks to reduce and gain in the fields..... I think the best actual "need" that I saw in the link Craig sent was of Ian's set-up, and the 2 guys that had the moldboard plows attached..... Other than that, they do LOOK COOL!

I think Jason had, "IMHO" the best set of duals. No spacers, actual rim with extended lip that mounts inside the primary rim.... Jason, where did you find them???

Rob

RMCIII

Snow -sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread...Since the thread mentioned duals I was just wondering the actual "need" vs. looks.... Personally I do like the looks, but just can't seem to find an application where I would need them right now..... Maybe if I had an acre or 2 garden, then I would definately need them.. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by RMCIII

shallowwatersailor

I took a look at the recent thread about broken axles with duals and it does have me rethinking.  I was going the dual path because my lot is very uneven and sometimes the C145 with the FEL feels top heavy even with the bucket just off the ground.  I do have a weight box but don't have the rear tires loaded or any wheel weights so I will start with loading the tires with RV antifreeze and see how that works.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd like to hear them.

Ed

Two other ideas:

• Use 23X10.50-12 tires and 8" wide rims.
  • Get a pair of 1" or 1.5" wheel spacers which would increase the rear track by 2" or 3."

bmsgaffer

As long as you are getting spacers, might as well and grab a set of rims (and tires if you can) from a newer john deere with the 24x12x12 That will lower your ground pressure and give you a few extra inches width. You just wont be able to run chains and might have to adjust your fender clearance just a touch...

I feel like some people here have the super wides on. Some of them have widened their own rims, so it just depends on how much work you want to put in...