Sean Keys

Timed Deck Problems

Sean Keys

The deck under my 1969 Wheel Horse 700 and :eek:1962 Cub Cadet Original :hide:  are having some issues. Both machine have two blade decks. It seems like no matter what I try the blades hit each othershrug.gif. Even when I off set the blades they still manage to hit each other. It is the blades that are hitting each other, they are not hitting the deck anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this issue?? Anybody know how to fix it??

squonk

On the  :wh:  deck are you sure the blades are hitting? The cross shaft stand bearings go  bad a lot and the shaft where it presses into the bearing get worn down causing the shaft to move side to side. This causes the gears to bang and if it moves enough can cause it to jump time.

Sean Keys

It is the blades. They are chipping each others corners right off. Aren't they supposed to overlap?

gwest_ca

The path of the blade tips should overlap but not the blades. Timed 90 degrees apart they can't hit each other. You can remove the bolts from the right bearing block that supports the cross shaft and loosen the same bolts on the left side. That will allow you to raise the shaft and gear on the right side away from the right spindle gear to get them timed.

Garry 

Pullstart

Is there a keyway somewhere that is supposed to keep them timed apart too?  I've been having this problem this summer and have gone to the extent of hitting the cross-shaft nuts with my impact but they still find their way back out of time.

gwest_ca

Is there a keyway somewhere that is supposed to keep them timed apart too?  I've been having this problem this summer and have gone to the extent of hitting the cross-shaft nuts with my impact but they still find their way back out of time.

Everything should be keyed or have a double-D hole in the blade. What is your deck model number or tractor model number and width of cut? That way we can dig up a parts list.

Garry

Sean Keys

Deck appears to have a 33" cut, and is a rear discharge. I could not find a tag on it or any form of identification. I will post a pic of the tractors id tag here directly.

Sean Keys

Here is a pic of the tractors id tag. Unfortunately someone painted over it.

Let's try that again.....

post-13855-0-77510600-1414440480_thumb.j

gwest_ca

Your tractor model number is written with a dash 1-3741.

When you go to the attachment list they show deck models 5-2322 replaced by 5-2323. They also show 5-2362 but it is the same deck in a 36" width of cut and not 32" as Toro states. The parts lists are shared so easy mistake to make.

5-2322 ipl

1-3741 operator manual ipl and wiring

The 16" blades #7908 and 7909 have been replaced by 8777 2-blade set from Toro

The 18" blades #7906 and 7907 have been replaced by 8014 2-blade set from Toro

Garry

Sean Keys

Thanks a bunch Garry, I think rebuilding the deck probably isn't a bad idea. I will have to get around to tearing it down and rebuilding it one of these days :coffee:

Pullstart

looks like we're working on two different decks.. found my manual for deck 3262 I believe for the 502 model tractor.  I see there's a woodruff key on the face gear that I suspect is sheared off.  I'll just have to inspect to see what side needs attention but I think I need to pull the entire cross shaft assembly to get to that.

Sean Keys

Thanks, that's something that never crossed my mind. I will have to tear into it one of these days.