HokieAg07

Tiller Frustrations

HokieAg07

So, I hadn't yet hooked up the tiller I bought earlier this year until this weekend. I finally got the 6" front wheels off the 416 in favor of 8"s with weights and got the rear weights on as well. 

First I will say I understand why a lot of you guys have a dedicated tiller tractor, that thing is a bear to get on!

I was given the belt that supposedly went to this tiller when I bought it. Tiller was on a 312-8. Well the belt was entirely too short (see pic) I did a bit of searching on here and picked up a 6686BR Gates belt from Napa. Belt supposedly is 141 3/8" Well that belt was too short as well!

Surely, when I pony up the cash for the Toro 110265, it will fit I hope!!!

As frustrating as that was, I couldnt get but so angry, I also tried out the 10" plow and had a blast. Also disassembled the 520 and gave it a deep cleaning for end of the season. 

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

• Like 1

gwest_ca

What makes you think a 1/2" x 141" belt from Toro is going to be different than a 1/2" x 141" belt from Gates?

Got to be something else wrong.

Garry

groundhog47

Chris, don't know correct belt, but the 110265 shows to be 141" per this manual (near or = to page 71):  

One of my local suppliers said for me to bring in all on trailer and they'd fit me up. If you are close enough to a supplier/dealer you might ask about that. Once a got stuck with a short belt, no refund, cause it got a rough mark where tried to get over idler...won't go that route again.

Also make sure your mule idler and tiller idler are correct size. Not that I' any kinda guru or sumptin, but have gone into a lot of searching about the idlers. Finally got em correct as PO had Gerry rigged all. If was at location now would get you measurments. Could you post a size of idlers if any doubts and or pic of tiller idler, mule looks close to ok. That still wouldn't account for that much discrepancy.  

HokieAg07

What makes you think a 1/2" x 141" belt from Toro is going to be different than a 1/2" x 141" belt from Gates?

Got to be something else wrong.

Garry

Well, what could possibly be wrong? The tiller is hooked up properly, mid idlers are correct, tractor frame length is not modified. Who says the Toro belt is actually a true 141 as measured?

HokieAg07

If someone has the correct diameters for all pulleys and idlers in the system I will confirm what I have. It is just so strange, the previous owner of this tiller was an older couple, not the type to modify things. I am not sure where in the world the belt in the picture came from, there is no way that fit the tiller with her 312.

dennist

Pic of rear showing belt hook up and pulleys would help.

groundhog47

From what I just perused, the belt length you mention, 141..., seems correct. The tillers I viewed seem to all use same belt in that age span.  

I'll try and get sizes of idlers have found to be correct and age cross reference to see if near same across years. Some old ones are cast but should keep size same. Couldn't find where someone got me the first references (size) on idler MW8821.

I'm sure you are more adept at all this than me, but is the axel attachment the single slot old style? Saw one newer that had front and back notches???

KyBlue

Pic of rear showing belt hook up and pulleys would help.

Exactly ... if you're using those brackets sold on Ebay ... made from 2" angle .. it moves everything way to far back as the OE mount is directly under the axle ... you could always use some string and run it where the belt will, then measure it...

N3PUY

This can't be correct!  Can it?   Belts are criss-crossed and will be rubbing.   There's nothing on the front idler pulley.  

I think ... off the front of the PTO down to the front idler,off rear of PTO down under the small tensioner.  

IMG_0664.jpg

• Like 1

KyBlue

This can't be correct!  Can it?   Belts are criss-crossed and will be rubbing.   There's nothing on the front idler pulley.  

I think ... off the front of the PTO down to the front idler,off rear of PTO down under the small tensioner.  

IMG_0664.jpg

If the belt is too short it isn't going to go over the pulley like it's supposed to ... he's saying the belt is too short ...

N3PUY

If the belt is too short it isn't going to go over the pulley like it's supposed to ... he's saying the belt is too short ...

OH!  I see !

N3PUY

post-6866-0-09943000-1413764458_thumb.jp

gwest_ca

Well, what could possibly be wrong? The tiller is hooked up properly, mid idlers are correct, tractor frame length is not modified. Who says the Toro belt is actually a true 141 as measured?

Wheel Horse and Toro belt dimensions are listed in the back of the belt charts

Garry

HokieAg07

Dark pictures, I know but they should help show tillers attachment to the tractor and its input and idler pulleys

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

KyBlue

Sits in the same place mine does ... I wonder if somebody has changed pulley diameter on the tiller??

HokieAg07

Sits in the same place mine does ... I wonder if somebody has changed pulley diameter on the tiller??

That would seem to be the only logical reasoning if the belt I tried today was indeed the same length as the Toro belt. 

KyBlue

Here's mine ...

2012-04-08_18-18-01_41.jpg

2012-04-07_19-53-30_737.jpg

2012-04-07_19-54-19_169.jpg

My Idler pulley setup is different than yours... but mounts the same, belt runs the same... 

dennist

Just question,,,are you hooking belt to PTO and mid mount idlers first?

dennist

I have to hook that first then run under flat idler on tiller and start over large pulley spinning that pulley till belt is over 1/2 way down and it is very tight till it finally rolls on. How much will your belt go over the rear large pulley?

HokieAg07

Just question,,,are you hooking belt to PTO and mid mount idlers first?

No, I was hooking to PTO then to v-pulley at mid mount, then around input pulley with my last action being moving the flat idler at mid mount to allow belt to slide on. 

Please tell me I am just having a senior moment and somehow doing it wrong! I just dont see how in the world that belt would have gone on though, even rolling the input, but I may be wrong.

Edited by HokieAg07

dennist

I believe you may want to try the way I suggest, as the rest looks correct and I use 141" belt....just real tight till it rolls on over the large pulley.

HokieAg07

I believe you may want to try the way I suggest, as the rest looks correct and I use 141" belt....just real tight till it rolls on over the large pulley.

Well that would make the most sense. Of course I already returned the Gates from Napa. Now the $20 question, that is the difference in cost between the Gates and OEM....OEM at this point?

dennist

OEM around here approx 70

KyBlue

Its hard to see but I have the OE belt ... it's not just a belt ... it's coated in something to help it grip ...  No more than a tiller gets used by me, I'll probably never have to buy another belt for it..

Wishin4a416

It doent looklike KyBlue has his belt figure 8'ed at the Pto like you do if I see correctly.