Gerry_D160

D series blower lift spring and pulley information needed.

Gerry_D160

As you all know, parts are anywhere from hard,  to impossible to find for these older models. I have the 6-7452, 48" snow thrower. The lift assist spring is missing. I have the owner's manual, which lists old part numbers and blow-up diagrams. I need the length and size, and any more info I can get in order to get as close a replacement as possible.

The previous owner had welded a 5 1/4" pulley to the gearbox shaft. Does anyone know if this is the correct size pulley. I also need the length of the belt for this pulley.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gerry

nylyon

I changed the topic a little bit hoping to get a better reply.  Sounds like Gerry needs to get some measurements from you D series guys who have blowers.

• Like 1

Gerry_D160

Any help would be appreciated, especially since the snow will be here any time!

Geno

Sorry Gerry, I don't know much about the D's but there are a lot here that do.  :)

Shuboxlover

I have a parts D blower....do you have a diagram of what you need?  I can check tonight.

Never mind...found the diagram...I'll check  tonight and get back to you.

Edited by Shuboxlover
  • Like 1

the_nite_owl

I have a large blower for my D160 as well but have not yet familiarized myself with it. Just got the tractor back home from using it for the FEL at another house and have to swap to the blower to make sure everything hooks up and works. Never seen one of these put together so if you get yours setup please post some pics.

I can take a look at mine tonight and check on that pulley size if Shuboxlover does not post it sometime today.

What is the largest snow blower they made for the D series? For some reason I thought I remembered this one being a 56" though as I said, I have not familiarized myself with it yet. I bought a package of snow cab, chains, rear PTO assembly, mower deck, 4' plow and the snow blower for $300. That was a great deal and I hope to put the blower to use this winter if everything is there and working. I go in for surgery on my right arm tomorrow though and it will be in a cast for a couple of months so I may have trouble getting everything hooked up let alone any repairs or fabrication if needed. I can always use the 4' plow on the Wheelhorse and use my Allis with a snow blower though it would be a 32".

I modded my D160 to foot control for forward/reverse. I need to get some more pictures of the setup to post it here but it works pretty well. I got the amount of throw just a little shorter than I wanted but it works out using the FEL because it never goes full speed using the foot control so you dont jump forward or backward hard. I integrated it with the hand control so to move faster you can nudge the hand control and for slow movement you use the foot control. Glad I did that mod earlier this year as I will not be able to use the hand control well with my arm in a cast.

As you all know, parts are anywhere from hard,  to impossible to find for these older models. I have the 6-7452, 48" snow thrower. The lift assist spring is missing. I have the owner's manual, which lists old part numbers and blow-up diagrams. I need the length and size, and any more info I can get in order to get as close a replacement as possible.

The previous owner had welded a 5 1/4" pulley to the gearbox shaft. Does anyone know if this is the correct size pulley. I also need the length of the belt for this pulley.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gerry

• Like 1

Gerry_D160

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the information. I will try to get some pictures up when I manage to get the blower on. I'm waiting on a local machine shop to finish fabricating a shaft on the right angle gear box for the blower. Once I get that, I can start hooking it up.

Gerry_D160

What is the largest snow blower they made for the D series? For some reason I thought I remembered this one being a 56" though as I said, I have not familiarized myself with it yet. 

I believe the largest was a 60" but I think it was designed for the d200 or d250 - that's a lot of blower.

Hope your surgery goes well.

gwest_ca

I believe this was the biggest and the last

Garry

• Like 1

the_nite_owl

I took a look at mine and the pulley is 6" across unless you measure from the inside diameter of the groove?

My snow blower is 48". Model 66-48ST01 .  I will have to do some searching for the manual as all I could find here is the parts list.

I seem to be missing the handle to rotate the chute as well but I have some other parts that were put aside somewhere I have to find still.

gwest_ca

This is the only operator manual we have for this series of snowthrower

Garry

• Like 1

Gerry_D160

Thanks Garry - that looks like the manual I have, which is great for identification and location but not for sizes if I need to fabricate a piece or buy a close facsimile. 

Trouty56

I'm on my phone now but I have photos of the spring attached to a previous post and am sure I mentioned the size....also I think it is the same as the spring on the 2 stage blower....the spring attaches to the bottom on the blower and then to a chain that is adjusted for length through a support on the mule....

Sent from where I am.......

Trouty56
Here are a couple pictures....

post-1933-0-40628900-1349055159_thumb.jp
post-1933-0-48514900-1349055179_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Gerry_D160

Thanks Bob for the pictures. My problem is that I don't have the spring and I need the dimensions so I can get a replacement. The manual shows the part, but no measurements. I have a handful of springs in the workshop, but I want to use one that has the proper tension characteristics.

Trouty56

I'll get you some measurements then....

• Like 1

Trouty56

8 inches long from end to end....1 1/4 inches wide.....1/8 inch wire....

Sent from where I am.......

• Like 1

Gerry_D160

Fantastic! Thank-you for the measurements - that's just what I needed! 

Gerry_D160

Bob, do you have measurements for the pulley and belt too? 

Trouty56

Well...for now the 200170 belt is 53 X 1/2....next time I go to the shop I'll check that diameter....do you have to build the whole front mule????

Gerry_D160

The belt info I found for my model on the Internet also lists a 53 inch, which seemed too long. The setup is a little different on my blower, I'm still waiting on a local machine shop to finish fabricating a pulley shaft on the right angle gear box for the blower. The shaft (which was previously replaced by someone with one too light) sheared off (Part 6).

The pulley had also been replaced and I'm not confident that it's the right one either.

post-14100-0-07168900-1414349384_thumb.j

Trouty56

the pulley is a 6 inch one.....the belt I am using is 49 inches (I think this has come up before and I measured it).....here are some pictures......

post-1933-0-29079600-1414354500_thumb.jp

post-1933-0-93427600-1414354683_thumb.jp

post-1933-0-99709500-1414354590_thumb.jp

The belt tightener.......as you can see there is a lot of space for adjustment.....

post-1933-138383361337_thumb.jpg

post-1933-13838336431_thumb.jpg
Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 1

Gerry_D160

Thanks! This will be a HUGE help. I've looked everywhere for this info and it's hard to find. Thanks again for taking the time to add photos! Maybe I will have this thing ready for snow after all.

Trouty56

Thanks! This will be a HUGE help. I've looked everywhere for this info and it's hard to find. Thanks again for taking the time to add photos! Maybe I will have this thing ready for snow after all.

Just let me know what you need pictures and measurements of.....I will do my best to provide the information you need....

• Like 1