gardentime

Starting problem and backfire

gardentime

Replaced starter on 414-8. New spark plug. Changed nothing else. Starter works and ran one day. Now no spark, no start.  Mess w/ wiring today and tried to start. I did flood engine.  Tried to start and then backfired thru muffer w/ flame bigtime, twice.  Maybe I knocked a wire loose. Can't find anything. Did loosen shround around flywheel, which was not necessary. Used air to clean area around flywheel.  Any ideas? I'm getting to old for this stuff.  But like the Horse.

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Glad to see another Hoosier!

slammer302

Check the spark plug wire at the coil under the engine shroud sometimes it get brittle from the air blowing on it from the fly wheel

gwest_ca

What year?

1986 used battery ignition and 1987-89 used magneto ignition.

Garry

boovuc

No doubt you have a wire off or loose somewhere. Plug wire is a definite check as stated. Check the plug and see if it is fouled. Most all Kohler's use a .025" plug gap. If you changed the plug from one manufacturer to another brand, make sure you have the correct plug. Especially if the "guy at  the counter" did the cross reference. On Magnums, the Champion RH-10 was the factory plug. I use Autolite 216's in my Magnum or the H10 or H10c Champions if they are on the shelf. Don't go by what you pulled from the tractor if you didn't install it. 

We don't know if you have a K Series or the Magnum and if it's a K Series, you also need to look at your points/condenser.

JustinW.73

put your old plug on it and try it. I got a raider 12 and changed the spark plug. ran like crap. for the few seconds it ran. it backfired and shut off. couldn't get it to start again. just backfires. if it works, then get a ngk plug. I found that these work the best for these old engines. i can look up the # you will need if you want. and set the points to 17 too. make sure they are fully open when gapping. hope this helps