moparharn

Test Drove a D200 today...........

moparharn

Everything went pretty well except that the engine won't idle down without surging, searching, and then dying. My question comes from the hydro issue I noticed. When I dropped the loader and tried to dig, the rear tires would not spin and a loud screeching was coming from either the pumps or the rear.  It sounded like the noise a hydraulic cylinder will make when it bottoms out ans you keep appyling power. A loud screeching sound.  Maybe I did not have it throttled up enough? I doubt this because I remeber throttling down to back out of the dirt area.  The hydro worked fine driving out on the road. Forward backward, hard and soft, fast and slow, low and high idle. When it came time to get some digging traction, nothing but noise.  Any idea of the problem and more importantly, how expensive it could be to pay someone to fix it?  Thanks for any help I can get.  1974 D200 with 550 loader.

Edited by moparharn

stevebo

IMO these machines are NOT made to dig with a loader. The loader is only for picking up materials. Sounds like the hydro pump splines are worn which is the weakpoint on the D's. IMO I would stay away unless you are willing to do some work. The other downfall on pre 1976 D's (like the one you are looking at) they used non hardened bolts to hold the caps together in the rear end assembly and they shear the bolts. Once that happens you are talking rebuild of the rear end. I have been there and did that (twice). 

post-734-0-07976800-1413420614_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-05895000-1413420633_thumb.jpg

post-734-0-38790300-1413420642_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

moparharn

Any idea on cost to repair? Full hydro rebuild? Axle rebuild?  Thanks.

stevebo

forget having a shop do it. more than the tractor is worth. 

post-734-0-05498200-1413423100_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

moparharn

So any D200 that has a hydro problem should be sent to the scrap yard?  A decent D200 with a loader is worth????? $2500?  Cost to have hydro and axle repaired is more than $2500?  If so, then I guess you sell it for scrap, or sell the loader and then scrap it?  I am surprised to hear this.  Thanks for your help.

stevebo

Moparharn-

Obviously you would not do that. The loader IMO is worth$1000-$1500. The D with a bad rear end that needed to be rebuilt by a shop would cost at least $1000 - $1500. If it is only the hydro pump then it may be less. The question was asked how much do you think it would cost a shop to fix it. IF I were looking at that tractor I would walk away from it due to the cost to fix. My 2 cents.

Lastly- in terms of value.. My restored d with loader in the pic above I could not sell for $2500 so I did a trade. That machine and loader was sandblasted, primed with gun and sprayed with a gun. It was mechanically right and looked really nice. 

• Like 1

moparharn

Your tractor is really beautiful. I would have paid $2500 for it.  This tractor did not run well at low rpm and I am not sure that it was getting to its full high rpm.  If the rpm is down some could it cause the hydro to squawk when you need traction?  Should it spin the wheels at any rpm?  Thanks again.

Trouty56

Moparham....what you are asking is a little difficult to answer in a thread.....  Steve's point is....in his opinion you may be biting of more than you can chew....and he has the experience....  Do a few searches on the forum.....a few guys have revived worn hydro trannys....specifically D series.....  Yes it has a loader....but you have some engine worries.....and some hydro expense for sure.....

Now if I already owned the tractor....I would try to fix it....but I would not buy one to fix unless it was a really good price....like Steve said...that loader is the value here.....the tractor is not unfortunately....

My D series spins the wheels with a 200 lb weight bucket on the rear......

Edited by Trouty56
  • Like 2

meadowfield

The hydro should be able to spin the wheels...but if the engines revs aren't high enough or the pump/motor is worn then it will groan and make the noise you mention

My GT at full revs will pull a train and the hydro is moderately noisy, try the same at half revs and it will groan right up until it stalls the engine. 

A new filter and fresh oil might help - changing the acceleration valves springs and balls might improve things too...

pfrederi

I have a D200 with FEL that would not spin its tires .  Replaced pump and hydro motor with used ones still very little power.  Looked at a professional rebuild of the hydro motor was quoted $600 but he really didn't want to do it.

With a lot of help from reading this board and its experts  I then picked up more pumps and motors and tore into them. (even though they all came from "good working tractors" all of them had issues).  Finally fixed up one set and reinstalled it.  Now she will dig a hole with the rear wheels ( AG tires, 50 lb wheel weights, beet juice in the tires, 150lbs counter weight.

The surging and stalling is most likely the carb.  The idle circuit seems to be very sensitive to dirt. I have that issue periodically but she cleans up at 2/3 throttle and above so I haven't tackled it yet.

Pulling and overhauling the hydro pump and motor is not a driveway Saturday afternoon job. ( I have said before when WH built the D series a guy stood in the the factory holding the pump and they built the tractor around it. :razz: )   There are videos and photos here of how to do it. You have to decide if you are up for it.

moparharn

Great feedback, thank you.  I am a little surprised that Stevebo could not get $2500 for that beauty of a tractor.  I would have paid it on the spot.  I guess I have an inflated opinion of D200 values and this may be a big part of my problem.  Thanks again for all of the help.

• Like 1

pacer

I'll just chime in along with the rest --- The engine running is likely minor (carb adjust/clean - tune up?) .... but, the hydro is a different story. Unless you, or maybe a friend, has a pretty good grasp of mechanics (and a lot of patience) you might pass on this. The "D" is a bear of a tractor but the hydro can definitely be a big problem with them, and the older out horses get the more scarce the parts are.

You mentioned 'digging' with the bucket - these things wernt designed to 'dig', thats why they hang back hoes off tractors.

moparharn

I started to dig just to see if both rear wheels would turn and get an idea of what I could drive into to fill the bucket.  I thought that if I could get a reduced price I could take it to a shop and get it fixed up.  It sounds like from what I am hearing that the guy would have to practically give it to me in order to make this a fair deal.  This is a VERY nice, VERY low hour tractor.  I have a great GT for mowing, I want a FEL to help my back after two spinal surgeries , but it still must be able to spin the rear wheels.

Edited by moparharn

moparharn

I called some repair places today and got more feedback.  One dealer said a total hydro rebuild would be $2000. Another said "don't buy it!", but then went on to say that it could just be sticking relief valves that "may" be removable and repaired or adjusted.  He said that some people add gasoline or another solvent to the hydro fluid and run it on jack stands at different speeds and directions to circulate the solvent into the system. He said this sometimes will free up stuck or malfunctioning parts. After doing this the system is flushed with new hydro fluid and hopefully function is restored. He said he doubts Sunstrand supports the transmission with parts and that he would not be able to repair it. Lastly, he said that no matter the rpm, the hydro should stall the engine and not go into a bypass situation. The tires should turn, or the engine should stall.  I guess it boils down to how much am I willing to work on the tractor and at what price can I buy it. to be continued. Thanks for all the help.  Bill

Edited by moparharn

Desko

Well if you do get it there's probably a member here that has a good pump kicking around

Edited by Desko