dtallon

Ever feel guilty about parting one out?

dtallon
I have been putting it off, but the time finally came this weekend to part out my C-120.  I have more tractors than I have storage space, and with winter coming one (at least) needs to go.  It's a tough decision because this tractor survived sitting outside during the Tornado last November, and it dutifully pushed snow last winter even though it had to sit outside.  It's runs and drives well, but it's blow-by / oil consumption, although still manageable, seems to be getting progressively worse.  I had debated selling it whole, but it has good parts I need for at least 3 other project tractors, and I bought it as a parts donor in the first place.  It's somewhat comforting to think parts of it will live on in the other tractors, but still I somehow feel a little guilty.  

Anybody else ever felt guilty parting one out?

C120_01.jpg

C120_02.jpg

C160_17.jpg

C120_03.jpg

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I never parted one out. But I know where your coming from. Hard choice.

Glenn

• Like 1

ericj

i have parted tractors out before but like you i hate to do it. i don't throw any thing away, which might explain how much stuff i have lol, unless it is total scrap. i try to find somebody that needs it, and hopefully buy it from me. if we didn't part some out now and then we would run out of good parts to fix our good tractors. i'm talking parts that are n/a, or even sheet metal parts. of course if it was a rare tractor like a 420 SLE or a 520-8, thats a different story all together. so if you need parts for other projects go ahead and part it out. put the rest of the parts on the shelf for later.

eric j 

KC9KAS

I have only had 2 Wheel Horses that I parted out, and both were in need of a LOT of parts and time to make them operate, so NO I have not felt guilty about it.

CasualObserver

Nope.  Can't save them all.

Sparky

I doubt there's a collector or tinkerer or restorer on this site who hasn't bought a used Wheel Horse part and we all know where used parts come from. I've bought piles of used parts and parted a few machines myself.

Its not a big deal and it keeps this hobby affordable.

Mike..........

• Like 1

motox25

Hey I'm sure thankful for the many used parts I've bought from parted tractors!

• Like 1

zieg72

My 414-8 is a Johnny Cash tractor thanks to parted out tractors.  In many cases if you have the time and space, parting out a tractor is more lucrative than selling it as whole unfortunately.  I have struggled parting out a couple cause they are too good or too whole that I've sold as nice rollers but could have gotten way more by parting them out, especially decent 520's...

Tankman

Never parted out a Horse but, did do so to some old Bolens. Hated to do so but, was runnin' out of room.

AMC RULES

I remember that dutiful trooper, standing tall after the storm. 

God speed, RIP, faithful :wh: soldier.    :pray:

I know I couldn't do it!   :teasing-poke: 

• Like 2

groundhog47

:twocents-02cents: I'd rather see one parted out than sent to junk yard intact. Once all usable parts are gone some stuff just not called for and a guy could just run outa room, then it's time to think about recycling, sigh and say goodbye ole friend :wh:  

Edited by groundhog47
  • Like 4

19richie66

I have been wrestling with this recently. I have inherited some of my tractors and bought some. I have some my dad gave me before he passed away. Those mean the most to me so they are off limits. I have a 74 D160 that I would love to get going but the more I look at it the more I dont want to mess with it. I live in Florida and we floridians know how rare wheelhorse parts are down here. Thats another reason why I have thought about parting one I have. No parts here but I have at least two tractors that are on the bottom of my list. I dont want to do it but if I can keep the rest going by keeping it all in house, i have no problem with it.

slammer302

Almost all my horses were bought to be parts tractors then I get them home clean them up and next thing you know there part of the herd I have two commando 8 and a 857 and a B-60 that were all bought thinking they would be parts tractors 5e335bd490e33a62d6c97128bcad41ca.jpg8a5c1353d454e0fb74af0f92ac0f617b.jpg

can whlvr

don't feel bad,its needed to keep the others alive

WheelHorse79

That picture of the aftermath of the tornado looks serious!  I hope you and your family made it through the storm o.k.  There is some definite property damage in that picture.

Kelly

I have parted out a few hundred WH tractors, there is no saving all of them, and it funds my hobby selling the parts, no I don't part out nice machines, but do part out usable ones, that is where you get good parts, a old worn out machine has little to offer in parts. 

• Like 2

meadowfield

Bought a few parts tractors and ended up making them runners! I hate the thought of breaking them up - though that's because we don't have that many over here in the uk....

AMC RULES

Making functional artwork doesn't count Mark.   :bow-blue: 

• Like 1

dtallon

Thankfully we were all safe during the tornado.  The 7 months we were out of our house were tough, but every day we were reminded how lucky we were.  There are neighbors that are still not back in and won't be until sometime next year.  

Glad to hear I'm not alone on this.  The C-120 parts will be put to good use.  The safety switches and a few other misc parts will fix those modified and/or worn out on my C-160.  Given the debris that was in the C-160's transmission when I replaced the bearings, having a spare transmission won't be a bad thing either.  The gas tank and the rest of the wiring will help resurrect a B-100 fire victim I recently picked up from a local member. The rest may come in handy for another tractor I have been working on off and on the past year.  None of it will go to waste I'm sure!

Dave

squonk

I've only parted 2. One was a C160 that sat out under a tarp for 6 years with the carb off. I bought it for the engine but it was too far gone to rebuild unless I wanted to spend $700. got quite a few good parts out of that including the Hydro lift parts. 2nd was a C-120 roller that I wanted the hydro tranny out of it.

oaktown1987

I parted out a 1257 and feel bad about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuboxlover

One dies...so MANY can live!!!!  But I do feel guilty about it sometimes....

• Like 1

flyovrcntry

I think your opinion depends on where your from. Wheel Horse tractors are fairly rare in my area, not as bad as Florida Im sure,but , still scarce.

I was one that hated to see a running tractor parted for that reason. Until I found this site I didn't realize WH tractors were so plentiful in other areas. Now as see it as necessary to keep us in parts. Now when I see a non working tractor sitting and rusting away I think of all the good parts that will prob be scrapped.

As I stated WH tractors are scarce around here so I have never parted one,although I have parted other brands. If I ever get one that's just too costly to repair I would part it with no regrets.

oaktown1987

I live in Illinois quite plentiful but I miss my 1257

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottCT

I purchased a 308-8 from a guy only because he wanted the same price for a mower deck, bagger, wheel weights, and chains individually as he did for a package with the tractor. It was a "running" tractor when I got it but the engine has a bad PTO output shaft oil leak. I didn't have extra indoor storage so it spent a winter outside and I started picking parts off it for my other tractors. Once my wife started to complain about it I had to make the decision to disassemble it and put it in boxes (which my wife made quite clear to me that wasn't "getting rid of it"). It has been handy having parts on hand and I've sold some stuff off to friends who needed parts so I guess in the end I don't really feel bad about it.