whtractors24

c-161 kohler carb help...

whtractors24

I have a nice fully rebuilt c-161 with a k-341as rubber mounted motor. everytime I hit a bump in the yard in spits &sputters. so I pulled carb apart went through it 100% & adjusted it to specs then played with it from there same results.. if Ihave it at full throttle sitting in the shed running grab the motor with my hands and shake it just a little it sputters. I adjusted the float many ways and re did all the grounds. spark is strong point condenser and coil and plug are all new!

1 thing on the side of carb Idk if there was a freeze plug down the road some one jb welded it!

also when you have the carb flipped over if you look in the center as you thread the high jet in it is not 100% straight it walks back and forth such as it may be bent slightly! that matter?

I am very knowledgeable about carbs I am at the point to replace it ? 

also I tried adjusting the govner and the spring nothing...

oldredrider

Would help to know if it's Kohler or Walbro carb. The Kohler carbs have a baffle above the float to reduce splashing fuel.

whtractors24

It's a kohler carb and yes it is in there I tried it both ways still same .

whtractors24

I ordered a new adjustable one at work today my cost 150 hope this solves it. Still WA t to know how and why it does this. I don't like giving up on things.

oldredrider

I had a Walbro carb on my C-160 that I thought was doing the same thing...sputter and such every time I hit a bump. Just before tearing it apart to investigate, I discovered, by accident, it was an electrical problem...one of the ammeter connections was bad. Just food for thought before you lose your mind.

whtractors24

Thanks I went through all that I can grab jus the motor since it's rubber mounted and shake it with my hands and still cuts out sounds as if fuel I'm guessing.

WH nut

Sounds like electrical to me. You state its mounted on rubber and cuts out when you shake the motor. Common sense says ground

whtractors24

Grounds were all sanded to bare metal.the one from the battery to the starter. Then there is one ground from the cradle mount to the the bolt that is mounting the cradle mount to the frame.

WH nut

Grounds were all sanded to bare metal.the one from the battery to the starter. Then there is one ground from the cradle mount to the the bolt that is mounting the cradle mount to the frame.

Still sounds electrical to me, Try running a jumper from battery+ to coil + and retry. Also check wire from coil- to points for chaffing. Also make sure points aren't grounding out.

whtractors24

Messing with it now I agree after I did the ground it stopped cutting out now just runs like crap.

WH nut

Ok if the cutting out has quit fuel is your next step. Let us know your findings

whtractors24

Points are new I will jump the battery from +to the coil good idea Thank you man its tough with it being repainted from last guy.

I'm putting new carb on tommorow so we will see. And the ground from the battery goes to the starter mounting bolt. Then likening said b4 I have a ground from cradle mount to the mounting bolt that goes to the cast spacer that hold the cradle to many variables lol.

WH nut

Paint is pretty but can cause a lot of electrical issues.

diamondred

Carbs don't come with JB weld on them. I would suspect that first. I had rebuilt a carb on a tecumseh in which the rebuild kit had two "mini" freeze plugs to replace. After drilling and digging the old ones out, I find that they covered passage ways for fuel/air. There were holes drilled in different directions and covered by these plugs, allowing the passages to be connected together. Notes told me to use fingernail polish to seal these plugs and carefully peen these into place. I'm thinking it's possible that the plug fell out and was covered with JB weld and may have blocked the passage ways....?

I don't know that I would replace these plugs again unless absolutely necessary. 

diamondred

Also to add..... I adjust the floats to close a little earlier than the specs, but thats just me.

whtractors24

OK So I Dont Believe IT'S Grounds Ran + Direct To Coil STill Runs Like crap. Hers are the photos of issues I think no found the job weld I pulled off and found this hole that routes to the hole in the 2nd pic.

The 3rd picture is where it looks like some one either tried to tap or thread something in the port.

post-6404-0-22937400-1413294806_thumb.jp

post-6404-0-16974300-1413294817_thumb.jp

post-6404-0-07146100-1413294830_thumb.jp

Edited by jason.c

diamondred

Thats an air passage. Per say, a float bowl breather. If the needle valve gets dirt in in it, or the float is water logged, the bowl will fill with fuel and come out of these holes. Check float by putting it in a cup with fuel and make sure it doesn't sink. Put it back together, with the carb in the working position, gravity feed some fuel into it and make sure the needle valve is doing its job.

whtractors24

Yes but thay whole is a lot larger that it is supposed to be it should be a pin size hole!

diamondred

I really don't think there is suppose to be a hole there. If so, I don't think they would have went to all the trouble to vent the bowl area to the end of the carb in pic #3. I would make sure the passage is clear and re-seal the hole shut so dirt don't get in the bowl. The air that comes into bowl ( if any), has come through a filter. ... I know .... I don't like giving up on stuff either.... so I keep fixin til its broke.

whtractors24

Your correct here is the new one just arrived no hole there!

post-6404-0-93919600-1413299518_thumb.jp

diamondred

Just love those fully adjustable carbs !  Let me know if you want to get rid of the old one... pm

whtractors24

Runs perfect all set :) and yes pm me

• Like 1