RMCIII

What Will Never Happen Again?

squonk

This stuff brings back a lot of memories...some good and some bad.  I had the pleasure of getting made fun of, in 1st grade, because I held the pencil in the wrong hand.  The teacher kept taking it out of my left hand and forcing it into my right.  I am still a true left hander, but I found out a couple of years ago (when I fractured my left wrist) that I could still sign my name with my right hand.  I guess I should thank her for that.  :)

That reminds me of my late Uncle. I write bowl and eat  righty. I hit (baseball)  :) throw lefty.I shoot  basketball both hands and Golf long shot left and short right.My cousin when he was little started throwing and batting left handed buy my Uncle made him change and would not allow him to do anything lefty. I never understood that. My cousin grew up to be a great athlete until he blew out his knee. Now he's an ortho surgeon. I wonder what would have happened if he was allowed to do both.

• Like 1

Ken B

I went to a Catholic school too. There were no hugs. If you couldn't write as neat as the girls you had to stay after school. If you had trouble understanding something you were made a fool of. You had to eat all of your food no mater how disgusting it was. When you went out for lunch in the winter if you put your hand in the snow you were accused of throwing snowballs. If a bully beat you up or threw your homework into a mud puddle it was your fault. Worse 6 years of my life. Glad it closed

Sounds like you had all the naughty Nuns there Mike! There was one Nun I couldn't stand, thankfully she only taught Math class. I had her for 3 yrs. and for 3 yrs. I failed her class. Every time I failed a test as she was marching in at the beginning of class she'd announce, "Well, Kenneth failed another math test! (I hated being called Kenneth and she knew that) I had to go to summer school for three yrs. because of her. At summer school they gave away a big trophy to the person that received the highest grades thru out the summer. They only gave away one trophy. Everyone wanted that trophy but I got it 3 yrs. in a row. Straight A's. Finally tired of being embarrassed one day after class I quietly walked up to Sister Kathleen and told her, look, maybe its you and not me. I doubt that she says and she said obviously you want to be a loser for the rest of your life. Holding back tears I then pulled my 3 trophy's out of my book bag and showed them to her. I made sure to show her where it said hardest working, highest grades. I then said, nope, its been you. Still got the trophy's somewhere... I never told my Dad about how she treated and embarrassed me. Even though he was old school strict I knew he wouldn't have put up with that crap, I didn't want her to think I was a wimp that wanted special treatment.. I did tell her that if she announced another failed test that I would tell my Dad. I think even she was afraid of my Dad!

• Like 3

Brrly1

What will Never happen again? You'll never see a president ride around in a convertible. There's alot of things that have happened that won't ever happen again. Glen, good pictures I recognize just about everything. Good subject!

squonk

Ken multiply that nun by 6 and that was my school. I got lucky and the school closed after I was in 5th grade. They taught us almost nothing. We were so far behind the public school kids it wasn't even funny. All we knew was ABC 123 and how to keep quiet.

• Like 1

Aldon

It's indicative of the changes in the times when you look at the bus stop.

As many or more parents as children.

In my day, not a single one was at the stop.

But as accurate as all the above threads are, if we could go back in time 50-75 years, our ancestry were having similar discussions about changing times. Running Water/Electricity/Modern Medicine etc....

Take the good with the bad, but does not mean we give up easily:)

• Like 1

km3h

I am saddened to hear that some of you had such a bad experience while attending Catholic School. The Nuns in my school where School Sisters Of Notre Dame, They were some of the finest women I ever met and I maintained contact with two of them until their deaths. They were like mothers to me as my own mother left when I was three. I couldn't attend Catholic High School because of the expense. When I went to the puplic school for grade nine, I was so far advnaced I skipped a grade and still was far ahead of the others. They could be very stern when necessary but I never thought they were unfair.

There was no modern math and english was taught to perfection. If someone did not understand something the Nun would stay as long as it took to get that kid through the subject. I was a problem for them as I could be very obnoxous at times but they saw something in me or maybe it was because of the no mother thing, they found a way to nurture me and taught me that "I can't means I won't."

I am not a very religious person so my feelings are not govorned by theology. Just a love for a group of dedicated women who took the time to see something in me that was worth saving for the future. Their values were instilled in me and when at 21 I joined the

Baltimore Police Department, I carried them with me. I tried to see the other side of things and during my entire 32 years of service, I was never involved with a brutality complaint. Oh I had my share of battles, and I inflected my share of bruises and busted heads, but they were always rightous.

I served many years in the Homicide Squad and my command of the Eenglish Language, taught to me by those Nuns served me well. Never had a report returned to me because it was poorly written.  

I just had to defend my teachers. Sorry if it offends anyone. 

• Like 3

squonk

No offense at all. We had a couple of nuns that were great! 1 was a heck of a basketball player. Lots of fun and would help anyone. I guess it depended on there own upbringing and how they were expected to teach Very little time was spent on science or any advance classes mostly writing math and religion

• Like 1

km3h

I grew up without television. We listened to the radio and read real books. We had a guy came around every evening and lit the gas street lights and again in the morning turned them off. First house I lived in had electric wire running through the old gas pipes to the gas lights which were converted to electricity.