Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Lincoln Welder

Rollerman

Hey guys there one in my area for sale...a used 225S stick welder with all the rod I'll need, helmet, & 30' leads...my father inlaw says they can be had new for $250 :P without any accesories.

So I'm asking...whats one worth?...I'd like to make an offer.

Thanks in advance :D

Nick

Did a search on those and didnt find many prices. Those I did see were up and down from $100 to near $300.

I should let a real welder get this but here is my 2c. If you can get a good deal on the Lincoln it doesnt hurt to have a stick welder around. Later if you end up with a smaller mig welder then the stick welder will come in handy for bigger jobs. In a pinch the stick welder will even blow a hole or cut. If you only have room for one welder though I would wait for a good deal on a mig.

After all these years I still cant stick weld. The mig welder makes it easy and at times I even get a real nice looking weld. :D

Nick

Stephen, I was just looking at auctions and found one that might be over your way in Huntington IN. Not much information or pictures but says 220v mig welder with tank. And better at the bottom there is an 8hp Wheel Horse listed. Be nice if it said a model number or at least had a picture.

http://www.larryfwells.com/Consignment%20A...01,%202008).pdf

Curmudgeon

Too funny, Nick. I can stick weld "ok", but have a devil of a time with a mig. I'll grant you it's far easier to strike an arc with a mig, just touch and pull, WAH LAH. But I can see what I'm doing with stick, that big old gun, well, can't see where I'm at or where I'm going. I might very well be laying a bead down no where near the joint. So unless I'm welding in a corner so I CAN'T miss, I probably am. Do get a nice smooth bead, if not actually a weld though. LOL

As a note, I'd still love to get a mig for home, I've only used them at a job I no longer have. No, it wasn't part of my job, technically wasn't even supposed to be welding, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. No again, that's not why I'm no longer there.

Dale

Jim_M

Stephen,

The 30 foot leads would be handy. I think they usually come with 12 or 15 foot leads nowadays. If you can get it for $100.00 I would say you did pretty good. The 30 foot leads would cost that with the price of copper today.

Jim

Rollerman

Thanks guys!

My father inlaw has a stick welder so I'm able to use one...but not a pro.

I have a Century wire welder here & to be honest ...it makes me not want to weld.

I hope I can nab the Lincoln...it be handy for some project ideas :D

I'm thinkng it be in the $150/$175 range though :P

Nick

Stephen is the century a flux core or does it have gas? I was using a friends small 110v flux core welder and it did ok then I started using a 220v mig with gas. Big difference in welds from the flux to gas shielded welder. With either of the migs the metal had to be clean, yea it should always be clean but you can get by with more using the stick welder. One plus for the stick is welding outside on a windy day no gas to blow away like the mig.

Rollerman

Nick it's a very cheap flux core setup.

It arks as soon as contact is made rather when the feed trigger is pulled.

I have better luck really useing my father inlaws welder which is why I'm interested in this lincoln stick welder.

Thanks for all the input though :D

Jim_M

Stephen,

I don't think 150.00 or 175.00 is too bad considering the 30 foot leads all the rods that come with it, as long as they've been kept dry. Welding rods aren't cheap these days.

Jim

Rollerman

Got it, gave $150...came with 4 boxes of rods, 2 helmets, new gloves, chipping hammer...& the leads are 35'.

Here's the funny part....it was my father inlaws nephew!

So the father inlaw & I could not play are good cop/bad cop routine but I think it's worth the $150 & look forward to playing with it :D

nylyon

Growing up I had a Lincoln welder, great welders, sure do miss that welder wish I had taken it with me.

Jim_M

Stephen,

I think you did pretty good, I would have given that for it. I forgot to mention that if it's an older model it's worth a lot more than a new one. The old ones had a lot more copper transformer windings. The new ones have a aluminum and I doubt they'll last very long. I think that's one of the reasons that the new ones come with such short leads, the aluminum transformer probably can't handle the added load of long cables.

Jim