soofoodude

Replacing 520 H Pump / Transaxle

soofoodude

Greetings All - I broke an axle on my 92 520H.  Being lazy and short on time, I bought a salvaged (325 hrs supposedly) 96 or 97 Pump Transaxle - thinking I could just bolt it up and not have to tear into the transaxle to replace the broken axle shaft.  When I rolled the new unit in and bolted it up I connected the hydro speed control arm.  When I did I found the cam plate would not move.  I loosened it up and the control arm from the top of the Hydro will not budge.  Now I am scratching my you know what.  The guy said he drove the unit around in his yard before he tore it down.  Any suggestions?  The cam plate on the "new" unit looks like it is slightly bent down, but as much as I loosened things, the arm should still move.

Photo of Old tranny

post-2419-0-50338300-1412967989_thumb.jp

Photo of replacement

post-2419-0-89995300-1412968026_thumb.jp

Edited by soofoodude

soofoodude

Got to thinking about this some more, I would like to get it running this weekend.  Seeing the following choices here:

a. Would there be anything gained by removing the vertical speed control shaft to see if it can be determined why it will not rotate?

b. Perhaps I should just Stick my old pump on the new transaxle?

- Will anything (gears, etc.) fall out of place when the pump is removed?

- I am assuming they will directly swap - Y/N?

Fordiesel69

for the sake of quickness, I would swap the whole pump.  But if the guy is truthful, you will eventually want this pump back on there.  The pump and hydro motor wear together for the most part, so at 300 hrs this unit will last a lifetime if maintained.  On my sunstrands I did not have gears fall out, but I don't know on the eaton 1100.

squonk

That pump will pull out with no parts falling anywhere. The worst that will happen is the small gear at the end of the pump might slide off. I would get some way to spin that pulley and then tap on that lever first. I bet it would start to move.

soofoodude

Hey imma DS here. Figured it out. Took all of the linkages off the top of the hydro and got the lever mov ing. Not sure what was holding it. Thanks for your input.

Fordiesel69

Curious.........how did you break the axle?

• Like 1

soofoodude

I bought the tractor in 1998 with 44 hrs on it. A dentist hand it to clean out his horse stalls. It had a kwikway loader and duals.   The last 15 years has been mowing and blowing.  I took it out the other day mowed around a tree and it went kerplunk.  The axle appeared to have broke for a while - maybe even came with a factory defect - I don't know.  I will snap a picture of the end of the shaft when I get a chance.

Fordiesel69

That always sucks when it is not user error. 

boovuc

I have duels and have been duelly, (bad pun), warned that duel wheels and broken axles go hand and hand. As Malmac told me when he saw I added duels to my 520, there were Service Bulletins released to dealers regarding the addition of duels with loaders and broken axles. It may not happen overnight but if it is lifting a lot of weight and it is on uneven ground and bouncing, you could crack an axle. I don't think duel wheels are as much an issue when not used with a loader or even a tiller where there is a lot of weight over or behind the rear end.

boovuc

Here is a copy/paste of one of the Service Bulletins concerning the use of duel wheel adapters. 

Toro Service Bulletins 1991 - Present: Garden Tractors #11 Issued: May 15, 1992
Dual Wheel Adapter
Previous Table of Contents Next 
PRODUCT: 80730/80732/80733 Dual Wheel Adapter 
UNITS AFFECTED: All Garden Tractors 
SITUATION: The previously supplied Dual Wheel Adapter, 80730, has been replaced by 
new kits which include stronger rear axles for improved reliability. 
PROCEDURE: Order the kit needed as identified below. Refer to 1992 Dealer Sales & 
Policy Manual Bulletin #21, Section 1 for pricing information. 
NOTE: When quoting prices on equipment, be sure to factor in the time needed to install 
new rear axles (2-3 hours). As in the past, the kits only prepare the tractor for dual wheels; 
two rear wheel and tire assemblies of the desired size must be ordered separately. 
WARRANTY: Not applicable, information only. 
ACCESSORY: (1) 80732 Dual Wheel Adapter, Hydrostatic 
(1) 80733 Dual Wheel Adapter, 8-Speed
Page 1 of 1
file://E:HtmlSERVbltntoeteg011_1.htm 27/12/2009