rmaynard

Got My New Snow Blade Edge Today

rmaynard

Quite a difference between the old one and the new one. This one was only $27.43 delivered from Mowpart.com.

6c358356a1c65085aa125924679e92f1.jpg

• Like 2

KyBlue

holy moses ... what a difference!!! I need to get one of those sometime before they discontinue them ... 

wfyehl

I don't have a picture handy of my cutting edge, but I went to the metal scrap yard here in Fort Wayne (C. Henry's), and purchased a 42" piece of bar stock (3/8" x 3").  It cost me $5.00.  But I had to use the old one to drill the holes to mount it.  It took 3 years to wear the corner of the edge to be flush with the driveway.  The hardest part was 'squaring' the holes to mount the carriage bolts - used a jig saw.

-Bill

js5020

I need to get/make a new edge myself!

KC9KAS

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Been working on a "new" plow for my GT-14. Information says it will handle a 54" front plow.
I had a couple of fair looking 42" plows, so I took the best parts from both plows and made a nice 54" plow by adding 6" of plow to each side of the best 42".
Now I am working on the plow cutting/wear edge. I wanted the 3/8" square holes for the 3/8" carrage bolts, but wasn't sure where I could get this done.
At my work place they have a "mega-buck" iron worker that will do all kinds of stuff, but they don't have a 3/8" square die...Next best thing is a square broach. I have attached some pictures of the broach, plow wear edge, and the press I used to cut the 3/8" round hles to 3/8" square holes!
This broach is round on the starting end, and is tapered to the opposite end, and is square. I used a press to "push" it through the steel.
post-2107-0-90006600-1344040921.jpg
P03163829.jpg
P03163829-1.jpg
P03163851.jpg
P03170451.jpg
Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 3

zekepiks

I just went to my local Alro steel supply business, bought a piece of I think 2"  by 3/16 and paid them less than a dollar each to punch the square holes while I waited, I have a 48 inch plow so I just bought what they call a cut off by the pound. hope this might help  Skip

• Like 2

Tankman

Quite a difference between the old one and the new one. This one was only $27.43 delivered from Mowpart.com.

Thanks for the post but, guess I'm not lookin' in the right place, can't find the blade edge on mowpart.com.

Mowpart.com I'm savin'. Appears to be a decent source.

Got a link for the dozer edge?   :eusa-think:

rmaynard

Just go to mowpart.com and search for 93-1612-03.

pfrederi

Getting a piece of steel is cheap and drill your own holes. Do not have to square them.  Sandwich th new metal between the old edge and the plow itself.  the carriage bolt shoulder will hold in the old edge and not need a square hole in the new one.  Depending on the thickness of the new metal you might need longer bolts

• Like 1

Tankman

Just go to mowpart.com and search for 93-1612-03.

Is that a 42" or 48" blade/edge?

I have one 48" dozer that has little feet on the bottom of the blade. The pair mounts one left and one right using the blade mounting carriage bolts. The skids (little feet) are badly worn.

Anyone have a part number for the little skids (feet)?

Thanks for the post!

Edited by Tankman

gwest_ca

This may be the skids.

Garry

oldredrider

If you're going to get a piece of steel and make your own, get a piece 4" wide by the length you need. Drill the holes 1 1/2" from the edge, turn it around and drill another set of holes 1 1/2" from the other edge. Mount the steel to the plow in the lower holes. When it wears, mount it in the upper holes. When this edge wears down, turn it over and mount in the lower holes on the new edge. As it wears down, move it to the upper holes and you have your fourth edge and you will be much older by now! This will give you 4 edges for wear instead of 2.

• Like 2

Tankman

Garry is amazing. Right on!

Many thanks!   :ychain:

AJ_Thanatos

Bringing this back up for quick question. 

Here's the deal, Im at work and the guys in the shop have the time today to make a new edge for me. But I need to know the actual dimensions of the holes for a 42" plow. Does anyone have these handy so these guys can make one for me today? 

Center to Center would be great. 

Geno you must have one sitting right next to you you can measure real quick, you only have 78 of them laying around.  :teasing-poke:  :hilarious:

Thanks in advanced. 

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Good thing you don't live Hamburg NY Bob. It would get a workout.

Geno

I don't have any of them apart to get an accurate measurement.   :eusa-doh: 

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

I don't have any of them apart to get an accurate measurement.   :eusa-doh: 

:banghead:

Can you get me close with center of bolt to bolt? We aren't making a rocket ship here LOL. 

And I owe you. I'll make some drawing for you sometime! 

:hilarious:

Anyone else have an old one laying around they can measure? 

Edited by AJ_Thanatos
  • Like 1

Wishin4a416

Sorry. Cant help. 48'' Blade here. I went out to measure and remembered you said 42.

• Like 1

AJ_Thanatos

Sorry. Cant help. 48'' Blade here. I went out to measure and remembered you said 42.

Jack you get an "A" for effort in my book. Thanks for checking I appreciate it!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Geno

9 1/2".  Don't yell at me when it doesn't fit.    :laughing-rolling:

And yes, some people around here think we're working on rocket ships.  :laughing-rolling:

Edited by Geno
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Just measured my 42" and the spacing is 9-1/2" like Geno said. The 48" is spaced at 11".

• Like 2

AJ_Thanatos

Awesome guys thanks! 

Edge to first bolt? 

rmaynard

2"

AJ_Thanatos

Bob I don't care what Geno says about you! You are the man!  :hilarious:  :teasing-poke:

Geno thanks for all your help too. 

Really guys I appreciate it a bunch! This place ( :rs: ) is something else! I hope one day I can help someone like you guys.. 

• Like 1

rmaynard

Knowing that the blade edge is 42" long, and that the holes are spaced at 9-1/2", and that it has a hole in the center, the 2" number can be arrived at by taking 42", dividing it by 2, subtract 9-1/2", subtract another 9-1/2" and the remainder = 2".

...or in my case, I just used one of these  post-2221-0-24620900-1416336678.jpg

• Like 1